Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how īs the weather    

how īs the weather

Urpi
Peru

how īs the weather

Hi friends from all over the world
Please I need some pieces of advice how can start talking about the weather with an elementary group. I mean the warm up of the lesson any ideas?
Thanks a lot.

Claudini

26 Nov 2009      

67Englishteacher
France

I did that on Monday :) !
Personally I walk to the window and look at the sky and ask "what īs the weather like today?". I have a couple of students repeat and then I teach the vocabulary using flashcards. And in their copybooks they draw pictures and write the corresponding vocabulary.

What I do so that they don īt forget the whole thing is that we talk about the weather every day but as a memory game. One person asks the question, and then another says for example "the sky is blue". Then a second one repeats "the sky is blue" and adds sth else, like "it īs sunny". Then the next starts it all over and adds yet one more ("the sky is blue, it īs sunny and warm". When they run out of things to say using "is", they go on with "isn īt" (the sky is blue....and it isn īt foggy".)

This game works really well and they like it. Better pupils will tend to wait so that they can say something more challenging. Weaker students will want to start so that they īre done with it before it gets too difficult! And with very weak students I sometimes have one draw the corresponding pictures on the board to make it easier to remember (and at the same time check this pupil understands what the others are saying) and if their spelling needs improvement I sometimes ask one to write everything down on a transparent sheet and then we check the dictation at the end of the oral activity.

I also use this activity to introduce phrases like "you īre next", "it īs your turn"... : when one person has made a sentence they choose the next "victim".

I hope this is helpful to you (and maybe others, too!)

26 Nov 2009     

Urpi
Peru

Smile   tHANKS I īll use you idea it īs great.

26 Nov 2009