Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Difference between grammar school and high school?    

Difference between grammar school and high school?

anlu79
Germany

Difference between grammar school and high school?

Could anyone explain this to me? As far as I know grammar schools exist only in Britian and are mostly private, what about high schools and colleges? Can anyone give a a good link explaining the British (and American) edication system in a straightforward, not too complicated way?

26 Nov 2009      

Elisa76
Italy

I can �t help regarding the American system but in the UK Grammar schools are not necessarily private, but they used to be mainly for the brightest more academic students.  the others would go to a comprehensive school.  Grammar schools also could be single sex schools, so only girls or only boys.

I �d be interested in other people �s views.

26 Nov 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Grammar school is the same as elementary school.
It �s different from state to state - but in my day it went
Grammar school Kindergarden to 6th grade
Middle School (junior high school) 7th-9th  (7th-8th some places)
High School - 7th or 8th- 12 th grade.

26 Nov 2009     

Jayho
Australia

We have grammar schools in Australia.   They are private secondary schools, often denominational.  They are no different to other schools and I think that the grammar label most likely derives from our British traditions.

26 Nov 2009