Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching adults    

Teaching adults

Amaras
France

Teaching adults

Hello everybody

I �m currently teaching 2 students who are false beginners and am preparing them for their next holidays. So our main emphasis is on travel english. But somehow I find myself stuck with the methods of how I �m teaching. We do a lot of role plays to get them talking (since that �s their main problem), but it �s getting boring after a while really. Today we did the topic "hotel" with check in; reservations etc, although it was quite funny, but like I said Im getting tired of the role plays and I think that will show sooner or later also with the students. Last time I did a webquest and worked with a podcast, but somehow it didnt � get them to talk much. If anybody has any ideas on how I could change my lessons, I would appriciate it very much. 

Thanks a lot and have a great day

26 Nov 2009      

occurin�
Spain

The main objective of the speaking task should be to share information. A role play where you just repeat a prepared dialogue doesn�t involve exchanging information, just copying what is written (with the learning objective of "practicing" grammar or vocabulary).  People will find talking more interesting when they really have something to share with someone else. 

For example, on the subject of holidays, something I did with kids recently is get them to draw a suitcase with five items of clothing in it. Their partner doesn�t know which clothes they have, and so asks them "have you got socks / a shirt / shoes etc". The object of the game is to try to guess what�s in the other person�s suitcase.

The learning point was to practice "have got...." and clothes lexis, but for the students the point was to share information that they didn�t know (what clothes the other person packed).

Other elementary games might be "20 questions", where one person thinks of someone famous, and the other person has to guess who it is. Of course, the first person can only answer "yes" or "no".   Role plays with some "information gap" are cool in my book, but I�ve never seen one like that at elementary level.

Can�t think of any more now, but I hope the point is clear. Please ask for clarification if necessary. 

26 Nov 2009     

Crespus2006
United States

I couldn �t agree more w/ Occurin but make sure you �ve taught the grammar previously.

30 Nov 2009