Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is since used with present perfect and simple past?    

Is since used with present perfect and simple past?

moreworksheet
Vietnam

Is since used with present perfect and simple past?

Through the grammar rules, I think that since is used with present perfect and simple past. But when I give a sentence "sHe has written 3 books since 2000 and now she is working on her fourth". My student says that "has written must be wrote because writing three books was finished." Also, "I have lived in Vietnam since 2000 but now I �m living in New York". Do you think that two sentences are grammartically correct. Please heple me~

27 Nov 2009      

Zora
Canada

"Since" is used with the Present Perfect tenses... ALWAYS... never with the Past Simple.

"She has written 3 books since 2000 and now she is working on her fourth." - is correct. The PP tense is not the way it is because of the verb, it �s the way it is due to the time frame the sentence is in. It does not matter that the subject wrote a 1000 books or not, the sentences "time frame" is Present, so the verb must be in a Perfect tense.

Also while technically correct in a grammatical sense -  "I have lived in Vietnam since 2000 but now I �m living in New York" - it �s meaning is off and makes no sense... The sentence should be:

"I had been living in Vietnam since 2000 but now I �m living in New York". 

27 Nov 2009     

ash2
Spain

She has written 3 books since 2000 is correct. You use the present perfect because the time the date  or time is undefined. If you use wrote, you would have to say "she wrote 3 books in 2000."

I have lived in Vietnam since 2000 but now I �m living in NY is incorrect. You can only use the present perfect +since if you are still doing the action ie. still living in Vietnam. I would say, "I lived in Vietmam from 2000 until 2007 (for example) and now I �m living in NY." or "I lived in Vietnam for 7 years but now I �m Living in NY."

27 Nov 2009     

ash2
Spain

I �ve just seen the previous post.

I have been living in Vietnam since 2000 but I �m living in NY is also incorrect. You can say I was living in NY....

27 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

@ashz you misread... I said "I had been living..." which is correct...  

27 Nov 2009     

ash2
Spain

Whoops! sorry Zora!!

27 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

No problem... I often misread things too lol

27 Nov 2009     

moreworksheet
Vietnam

Thanks Zora very much!I feel more relaxed when having your answer! Love