Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Should we use mother language in ESL classes?why?why not ?when?how?    

Should we use mother language in ESL classes?why?why not ?when?how?

manonski (f)
Canada

Michaela, I teach students from age 6 to 12. In all my class, I have special needs students and I only speak English to them. Easy? No. Doable? In my case yes. It needs a lot of prep because I need to prepare posters to help my students but in the long run, it was worth it.

I had my teacher-parents conference 2 days ago and parents thanked me for teaching that way. I had a parent who a month ago asked me to translate to her son but when she saw my classroom, she told me she now understood why I had refused to do so.

It took me many years to realize that it was possible but I can say I �m really proud of my students for developing learning strategies and communication strategies.

28 Nov 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

Yes, manonski, but you have NOT taught in Michaela �s classes. For a lot of various reasons, countries, schools and children differ, and so do teachers.
And again, try to browse some of the sites aftab57 has suggested, especially this one:

29 Nov 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

@ Malvine,

I know that I have not taught in Michaela �s classes. I was reacting to her sentence that said it was not possible to do it. I do not presumed to have walked in everyone �s shoes. I am adding my two-cents based on my 20 years of teaching.
I �m not dumb, I know that reality is different for everyone. Some of us teach English as a second language, some as a third language or more. In my situation, it is doable and I choose to not use L1.  

29 Nov 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Almaz I don �t need to introduce the words Robot and Pistol to Czech students. 2 out of 800,000 words. There are hundreds of false or "inexact" friends in between Czech and English, relying on them would be a mistake. There is certainly no occasion where I need to speak Czech in class. I believe there is no occasion where it would help the students (at levels above A2).

29 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2