Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Aren ´t worksheets without pictures worth downloading?    

Aren ´t worksheets without pictures worth downloading?

maker1
Turkey

Aren ´t worksheets without pictures worth downloading?

Great piece of work without pictures gets very few downloads yet a worksheet with some pictures gets twice as much downloads to say the least. Are we teaching our students to speak English or filling their minds with the same visions over and over? I am quite disheartened with the fact and can �t help wondering if pictionaries and flashcards are the only means of teaching English? 
This is the worksheet I am talking about and I wish there was a way of separating such worksheets from the others so they wouldn �t go a miss.

3 Dec 2009      

Mariethe House
France

This is advertising ,is it not?

It would be preferable to post this at the caf� as  was  decided quite some time ago!

I got "grounded" for doing the same thing in spite of the very good personal reasons I had of

appreciating some ws and writing it on the forum!

3 Dec 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I think this was a heads-up and not advertising.
I think advertising for oneself is worse.

L

3 Dec 2009     

maker1
Turkey

If I am to be grounded for speaking of my mind and making suggestions let it be?  P.S. Teacher �s Cafe is for more lighthearted matters and I feel strongly about this.

3 Dec 2009     

victor
Spain

Yes, we appreciate your good intentions, but we have an agreement: we will not "advertise" any printable, powerpoint or exercise in the forum.
Imagine what would happen if everybody did the same...LOL
Anyway, every user can have a look at the worksheets preview and choose the ones they find more useful.

3 Dec 2009     

maker1
Turkey

Dear Victor,
When I supplied the link I didn �t mean to advertise anyone �s worksheet but merely point out a fact for the dear teachers of this wonderful site. I �ll withdraw my post if I can and post it without the the link.

3 Dec 2009     

Nelssa
Ukraine

Dear maker1,
I completely agree with you...
Unfortunately!

3 Dec 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

TALKING FOR MY STUDENTS... IF I BRING THEM A WS WITHOUTH PICTURES THEY SIMPLY SEE IT AS MORE WORK, WHEN THEY SEE PICTURES AND GAMES THEY ARE EAGER TO DO THE WS. SO WHAT I DO IS THAT I LOOK FOR NICE AND APPEALING WS AND FIX THEM TO MY NEEDS IF NECESSARY. AT LEAST FOR MY STUDENTS THE WS CAN BE THE BEST WRITTEN WS BUT IF THEY JUST SEE LINES AND LINES OF SENTENCES THEY WONT WORK AS HARD.

4 Dec 2009     

Eryn
Spain

And so do I, Nelssa. Anyway, I don �t think everybody prints the worksheets in colour... What are you supposed to do if you have big groups or hundreds of students? Run out of ink every week? I admit I also think that the more colorful the printable is, the more attractive it will look and in consequence, the more people will download it, but in the end the content is what matters. At least in my case, when I download printables I only pay attention to the contents because I �m interested in the exercises not the layout.

4 Dec 2009     

Jull
Finland

Maker1, Nelssa and Eryn!
You are 100% right! 
When I download printables I only pay attention to the contents because I �m interested in the exercises not the layout.
I don �t consider our students to be SO SIMPLE... 

4 Dec 2009     

5puravida5
Costa Rica

It brings to mind that old adage: "A picture is worth a thousand words." I tend to agree with lizsantiago. Regardless of how good the content is, if it is boring to the students, you �ve lost them. My students are unsophisticated, not simple, and many are so young that they can �t even read in their own language. Pictures engage their attention and make the worksheets more enjoyable.

4 Dec 2009