Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Who and which     

Who and which

moreworksheet
Vietnam

Who and which

Please help me to explain the difference between two sentences.

" Mary is an accountant. She works for my father.?
I can combine two sentences " Mary is an accountant who works for my father" or Mary, who works for my father, is an accountant". I think that two sentences are correct but I don;t know their difference.
 Thank a lot for your help!

11 Dec 2009      

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Okay so this is a relative clause issue.

Mary is an accountant. She works form my father.
Means the same as the other two sentences, but depending on the situation you use a defining or non defining relative clause.
(Look up the relative clause worksheets on this website for more help)

Mary is an accountant who works for my father. - Defining relative clause, no commas. Every part of the sentience is essential and we are telling you who Mary is.

Mary, who works for my father, is an accountant. - Non-defining relative clause.
Here the fact that Mary works for my father is not important, you could say Mary is an accountant. Without that bit in the middle.

It would be defining if there were 2 Marys, for example
Mary who works for my father is an accountant.
Mary who works for my mother is a co-pilot.

There are two Marys and who they work for is important because it tells you which Mary I am talking about.

I �m  not sure I �m explaining this very well, Relative clauses are NOT easy things to explain, try to find some worksheets on them.

11 Dec 2009     

moreworksheet
Vietnam

Thanks a lot!

11 Dec 2009