Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Preposition "to" or "for"???    

Preposition "to" or "for"???

niacouto
Portugal

Preposition "to" or "for"???

I �m curently marking some essays and there is this sentence:
"The world population is increasing and so food is not enough to everyone."

The preposition "to" doesn �t sound right to me because it gives me the idea of direction. "for" sounds much better to me. However I am not sure if both are possible. Can you help me? Please...Unhappy

12 Dec 2009      

serene
Greece

I think only for is correct.
An example from Cambridge Advanced Learner �s Dictionary: Are there enough cakes for everyone?

12 Dec 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I would write "The world �s population is increasing and there will be not be enough food for everyone."

12 Dec 2009     

niacouto
Portugal

Thank you serene and cheezels.Wink

12 Dec 2009     

teresapr
Portugal

I also think for is the right word - Is there enough room for me?/There was food enough for all. (Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary).
Hugs

12 Dec 2009     

rodrigoleao2005
Brazil

For is Ok.

12 Dec 2009     

niacouto
Portugal

Thank you Teresa and Rodrigoleao. (and yes, Teresa, there is enough room for you, not only according to the dictionary - LOL)

Hugs to you all Hug

12 Dec 2009     

sharon5
United Kingdom

I think that you would only use �to � if it were before a verb, ie. an infinitive.
�Everyone � is an indefinite pronoun and so you use �for � (in this context, ie. after �enough �) Smile

12 Dec 2009     

blake69
Spain

I agree with all the responses. "TO" means direction, the goal to achieve something; whereas "for" is the beneficiary, the person or thing that takes a benefit on it. In this case, I think "for" is correct.

12 Dec 2009     

niacouto
Portugal

Thank you sharon5 and blake69. Definitely "for". That �s exactly what I thought in the first place.Thumbs Up

12 Dec 2009     

sharon5
United Kingdom

It �s a pleasure Niacouto :o)

13 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >