Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > "NOT ALLOWED TO USE CLIPART" vs "STOLEN WORK"    

"NOT ALLOWED TO USE CLIPART" vs "STOLEN WORK"

nita551
Spain

"NOT ALLOWED TO USE CLIPART" vs "STOLEN WORK"

I had some pps� removed from the site today reported as "stolen", I later learnt that the problem had been using some clipart from another site (although I got this pics from a christmas pack) for which I�m sorry and I apologize (I�ve learned something today). My suggestion is to change the message sent to the ws owner as something like "not allowed online because of clipart copyright", "there is a problem with your work" or something of the sort, for two reasons 1st.) the person then knows what the problem is, and 2nd.)because it can be quite offensive when your wss get reported as "stolen" after all the work put into it. It�s just a suggestion, but in my case, it would have made a difference.

13 Dec 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

The word "stolen" is not in any of the options when someone reports a worksheet. The person who reported it and I think in this case it was the owner of the websites mentioned... wrote that in the blank box when they reported it using the options given. That is the only way that you would have gotten that comment when your work was deleted.
I hope that clears it up for you.

13 Dec 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

If you use pictures taken on MES English, your document will be reported for sure. The owner does not want the pictures to be put on another website. I don �t know if that was your case but it might explain why it was reported and deleted.

13 Dec 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Nita,

me again. I understand you feel offended by the comment. But how would you call this?

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=179394#thetop

http://eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=342691#thetop

The 2nd ws was STOLEN from one of the most creative people here. And there are more than 1 wss stolen from another members here, sometimes the number rises up to 10 or even more in just one day. And it would be toooooo polite to tell people who deliberately stole wss "This is not allowed". Because these people ARE thieves. Angry

13 Dec 2009     

nita551
Spain

That�s not what I mean, if the ws is stolen ok, but when that is not the case I�m just making a suggestion that they add another option.�

But I see what you mean Cheezels, and that being the case, I understand nothing can be done. Thanks for explaining that Smile.

MJ, yes, I agree, in that case the ws has been stolen.

Like I said it was just a suggestion, but now I know it�s not a good one�Unhappy

13 Dec 2009     

Mr. Paul
Italy

Hey, guys! I Thought I could just download usuful materials to help me with my special needs teaching, but I found all these fuss about "stolen", "not stolen" and so on. I �m quite disappointed because I can �t even figure out how I can find the time to "create" a worksheet so as to be entitled to download as many as ........ I thought teachers were generous people, people who give without necessary asking anything back, but that seems not to apply to this community.  I �d say honestly and plainly "I am not able to contribute (At least, as long as my two little children need my constant care) to this community. Are u so kind as to let me download something?" rather than stole someone else �s work, but I fear nobody would care about it, as this community rules "rule out" any act of generous, spontaneous donation. This is not Internet spirit, call it "worksheet market".
Just a question: Do u draw yourselves all those wonderful cliparts that u stuff in your worksheets? Are u all so skilled as to be able to do it? If so, I humbly take my live and apologize to such monstruously skilled artist-teachers

13 Dec 2009     

Laura-Jane
Japan

Nita, I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago, and the exact same discussion on this forum.
It was decided that my suggestion that there should be a different message for stolen, and copyright issues, was not worth doing.

I fully agree with you, it is absolutely horrible loggin on and seeing STOLEN flashing up at your, next to a worksheet you have worked hard on. A message saying please change the clipart used or there are copyright issues would be much less offensive.

There IS a difference between stolen and misuse of clipart!
I hope you don`t have to spend too long changing pictures (like I did)!

Laura

14 Dec 2009