Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Hi there,    

Hi there,

Maja O.
Poland

Hi there,

Firstly, I �m really very happy that I can be the member of this brilliant site. We can find so many interesting things here that I decided to ask you for help.

I teach in a primary school so I work with students aged 6-12. I have in a class two girls who have a great difficulty in vocabulary learning. I �ve tried different methods, techniques but they don �t work well.

Have you got your incredible or just proven ways of teaching vocabulary ? Can you share the ideas with me ? I will be very grateful. It is really important for me.

14 Dec 2009      

Loree83
Italy

Hi! welcome! I have children that find difficult to learn new vocabulary. I usually help them playing with  memory cards in which you have to match word and picture, dominoes, snake and ladders in which I ask them to tell me 5 words related to what we are studying.
I play with flashcards that I put on the blackboard and they have to match them with the word.
Playing with them help my students a lot. Hope you find this usefull
bye

14 Dec 2009     

GAZA_CHILD
Palestine

Hi!How are you?
I think songs are the best means to teach vocabulary.Teenagers tend to react positively to songs in learning.
GOOD LUCK and HAPPY CHRISTMAS

14 Dec 2009     

marylin
Germany

Hello! I agree with you, teaching new words works best with songs, rhymes, raps and all kind of games, e.g. boardgames which force the children to speak and repeat the language material again and again. And storytelling: I always try to use the new words in little stories combined with pictures I show and real items. A happy Christmas to you!

14 Dec 2009     

Maja O.
Poland

Thank you very much for your help. I definitely agree with your suggestions but sometimes it is difficult to think about the song or a game for example with phrases like : It �s brilliant ! Lucky her! It �s amazing etc.

Merry Christmas Everyone !!!!!!

14 Dec 2009     

marcella8161
Italy

Hi!

I generally do the Hangman on the blackboard and the students love that very much! or I choose a letter and I ask the students to find words starting with that letter (Animals, objects of the house, clothes etc...): in groups so they will come to write that at the blacboard or on a piece of paper in the groups... as you prefer.

Sometimens I think of an object or a word and they have to guess it making Yes No questions (the usual 20 question games).

I hope to be of help. Smile

Marcella

14 Dec 2009