Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to introduce vocabulary related to furniture?    

How to introduce vocabulary related to furniture?

agatawet
Poland

How to introduce vocabulary related to furniture?

Hello everyone!!! I �m student of English and I must conduct the lesson for kids.The subject of it is furniture,but I don �t know how I should start this lesson to get Ss �attention (I mean presentation stage)If Sb has some useful ideas,please share them with me.Wink

16 Dec 2009      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Yes I do have an idea!
Right now i �m working on tourism, and I will ask my students to describe hotel rooms (in order to choose the best hotel), if you give me a couple of hours, i �ll show you what I want to do (using the software THE SIMS 3), send me private message if you �re interested!
Elodie

16 Dec 2009     

celine1
France

That �s funny Elo! I have made a hotel worksheet, using the sims too! The sims 2 though, my computer can �t handle the Sims 3! :) I need to buy a new computer!!
Agata, you can check out my hotel worksheet, but for furniture, I have a worksheet more adapted, it �s called in the house, and it �s at the top of my worksheet pages at the moment. It �s very simple and adapted to elementary students. My elem 3 and elem 2 liked it.
Otherwise you know, simply type "furniture" in the ESL printables search engine, or click on "furniture" on the left hand side menu, and you will find plenty of amazing worksheets!!
Good luck ;)

16 Dec 2009     

Je suis papillon
Argentina

Hi dear Agata!!!
Last year, I had to prepare some classes about "the house", in order to got my degree. I mean rooms and furniture. I used a doll�s house and its furniture that I had since I was a child. The kids were amazed!!! They loved the idea, and they enjoyed a lot practicing the vocabulary while they manipulated the tinny staff.
I hope it will be useful!!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! 

16 Dec 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I had my students draw a plan of  their dream house with the furniture they would place in it.  Each student drew a house with each room and drew pieces of furniture in it.  Later each student showed his or her drawing and described each room and what was in it.   In another  course I had the students describe what a house meant to them, where they would want their house to be consturcted, and what their favourite room would be and why.

16 Dec 2009     

suxanita
Portugal

Do you have a doll �s house? It �s good to introduce the issue. You can put the doll �s house on your table and ask him � what do you see?�
After intruduce each room. make them repeat the new vocabulary.
After put on your table some furniture and put on the rooms (if you want you can use wallcharts with the rooms and after stick the furniture in the rooms).
make them repeat the vocabulary each time you introduce a new thing.
Next, take off the stickers and invite sts to stick them on the pictures. ... (you say the furniture and they stick).
At the end, give them a craft. Search for printables with tables, beds, chairs etc to do (- cut-out). My students have done their favourite room with furniture. I have fantastic works.
Search for a song and teach them. Children love music. There is a fantastic one on Frisbee 2
(richmond - santillana)
If you need more ideas tell me. 

16 Dec 2009     

ELOJOLIE274
France

this is what I did with the Sims3, hope it helps:

16 Dec 2009     

agatawet
Poland

Hello everybody:) Thanks a lot for really useful suggestions Thumbs Up�I like them very much but unfortunately I cannot put into effect some of them.I have no doll �s houseUnhappyAnd what �s more I have limitation in number of words.I can introduce only 6 words.THANKS A LOT once again.

With regards,
Agata

17 Dec 2009