Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > arrive in arrive at arrive to    

arrive in arrive at arrive to

Missfrancisca
Spain

arrive in arrive at arrive to

I am sure this question has already been  asked and answered, but I have a doubt today when I was correcting a test from  one of my students. I know the rule about

I arrive in + city or town
I arrive at + place

but is it correct to say ? I arrive to C�diz.

I asked the language assistant at my school who is American and said to me she was not sure it was incorrect because she sometimes used it. Thanks in advance

19 Dec 2009      

Zora
Canada

I �d say no... it �s not grammatically correct. The correct way is "in or at".  And quite honestly, I �ve never heard or used "arrive to a place".

How long has your language assistant been in Spain? Because it might be one of those curious things that some natives pick up when they are immersed in another language.They �re own language structures sometimes mesh with the other and you get odd pairings like that. lol

19 Dec 2009     

aquarius_gr
Greece

Hello,

The rule is of course the one you state. "Arrive to" is wrong for country, city, town, place, etc. However, it is common �wrong � spoken English, as is much of it. Students learn rules and grammar then wonder why they heard something we told them is wrong. Even we as teachers might slip occasionally and spit out on oral easter egg, your American assistant included. I always try to mention these things to my students and point out that what is spoken shouldn �t always be written.

Bottom line, "arrive to" destination is wrong! BUT ... (haha) ... there is one case where it is right:
"I arrived to a long line of people waiting to buy tickets" is correct, meaning
"I arrived to (find/discover) a long line of people waiting to buy tickets"

That �s all I can think of right now as far as exceptions.

19 Dec 2009     

5puravida5
Costa Rica

I agree with Zora. I �m Canadian/American and I have never heard "arrive to a palce."

I would say, "I arrive in Cadiz at 1:00 p.m.
or more informally, "I get into Cadiz at 1:00 p.m.

19 Dec 2009     

eng789
Israel

I also agree with Zora.

19 Dec 2009