Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "O" in phone numbers    

"O" in phone numbers

firstime
France

"O" in phone numbers

Hi everybody!
I just have a simple question: what is the conventional writing of "O" in a phone number? (for example: tel: 01 800 654). I just don�t know how to write it, what a shame Embarrassed!
Thanks for your answer.

PS for Victor: I hope you aren�t having too hard a time fixing the problem... I really appreciate the work you�ve done on this site so far. Thank you very much for taking time for us!Clap

12 Nov 2008      

Zora
Canada

Good question actually... I�m guessing, you�d put it written as "oh"  i.e...  oh, one, eight, double oh, six, five, four...  Smile

12 Nov 2008     

Fernandez
Spain

I am almost certain that you transcribe it as a letter "o" since that is what you are saying. "Oh" implies meaning, it is an interjection.Wink

12 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Here�s a link that can help: Smile

http://www.eslcafe.com/grammar/saying_phone_numbers.html

12 Nov 2008     

silvanija
Lithuania

Hello. According to Oxford dictionary you just write "o". Ex.: My number is six o double three (=6033).

Silvana  Smile

12 Nov 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

The number 0 is written "oh" according to textbooks when referring to telephone numbers.
The letter "o" standing alone could be confusing.

12 Nov 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

I have always said zero and I am a native english speaker. If I was giving my number to someone I would say the number as "zero".

I guess this is not how its represented in some of your books though?

12 Nov 2008     

firstime
France

Thank you all of you. The pronounciation ("zero" or "oh") probably depends on the region you are from. I think I�m going to stick to "oh", because that was my problem at first (I knew how to spell "zero" but not this "oh"). Special thanks to Zora with her link.

Have a nice evening!

12 Nov 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

You are right. Thinking about it I do say "oh".... but I tend to only use it with english speaking people. If I am being careful about saying my phone number slowly for someone to copy down I do say zero.  hmmmmmmm

12 Nov 2008