Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Answers to worksheets    

Answers to worksheets

phil niro
Japan

Laura - Jane,

I got your point and yet , I think it has been a great help from the authors herein that they have provided us worksheets bearing  designs that are  appropriate to our lesson . After all, it would be a great task if you �re going to design your own. Anyway, as an English teacher , you can easily draft the answers  if that is not included in the worksheet because you are expected that you have mastered it ever since. I am quite sure that it will not take much of your time.

In some way , it is not good to be so dependent to others although I do agree that answer key  must be provided on  case to case basis.

21 Dec 2009     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I agree, having the answers saves a lot of time, though we still have to check the ws before handing them out. Anyway, when we create our worksheets, it �s very easy to include the answers (in red, at the bottom of the page...), if an author can provide the keys to his worksheet it means that it �s not his own work!!!
(I �re talking about complex ws, not something easy like"elementary" ws) 

Happy holidays for those who have a few days-off!!!
Elodie

21 Dec 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

"In a perfect world" seems to me to be the important thought here.

I am a native speaker and should therefore know how to use English well. However like most busy teachers I am always very short of time. Of course I  grab a worksheet with eternal gratitude and use it without the proper time it requires for checking.  I �m only human.

To me an answer key gives me an idea what exactly the author was getting at because there can be different interpretations to questions.

Lately I have taken to putting the name and country of all authors on worksheets and I love saying to my students....." This work was made in Brazil, Hong Kong, Japan, wherever."  I think they get a thrill to realise that they are part of a worldwide community and that some of the worksheets are made by teachers from their own country. Possibly it gives them a standard to aspire to.

Having this information is convenient as, if I find an author particularly good, I can return to their worksheets to get others which I  know for sure will work.

I also have downloaded work in the past and when I go to use it months down the track I have forgotten what one was supposed to do with it. Therefore I copy the instructions from the description. Unfortunately this all takes time which returns me to my first comment.....

"In a perfect world"

21 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hmm...

Except for crosswords, secret codes and such, I don �t really mind if worksheets have a key or not. I do think that a person needs to check, and double check a worksheet before handing it to their students though.

And I would like to say that not any of my one series here has a key because it �s an open idea to be completed logically. There can be various answers to each blank and I don �t want teachers falling into that bad, bad trap of saying "Oh, it has to be.... because it says in the key"... and not accept anything that I didn �t think of...  - No, that is not what teaching is about... sometimes, there can be tons of answers - even on grammar related worksheets. Heaven knows, the most obvious at times for one person, is not the most obvious for another! :D

21 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

LOL

Well, sometimes with crosswords and such, you get stumped. The obvious for me, isn �t always the obvious for another, hence the remark Wink  and honestly, I have spent over 5 minutes sometimes trying to think of the word that the creator was looking for! LOL

But I do understand what you are saying. I just found it strange that other natives were saying that they thought a worksheet without a key was... ahem...crappy... lol ... Not looking at anyone here PhilipR! Tongue (just kidding)

Anyways, each to there own... I am in a good mood... Christmas is almost here, wish I had a Santa hat for my puppy in my avatar though! lol

21 Dec 2009     

< Previous   1    2