Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > An idea for a speaking activity    

An idea for a speaking activity

Aimee/S.
Israel

An idea for a speaking activity

Good morning friends!

I have to write an assessment project and I �m looking for a short speaking activity.
The pupil I �m assessing is in the 6th grade and his level is very good. 
I �d love to get some ideas!
(I found loads of superb w/s here... I �ll be using some of them for the other activities (reading, writing, listening... But I �m not sure what to use for the speaking activity).
Thanks!

hs19.gif picture by aimeesackstein

21 Dec 2009      

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Hi, Your work sheets are not bad either!!

Here are a few ideas that I use for P6 speaking assessment. There are many elements to a complete assessment so I tend to use all of these, but they have merit individually.

Storyline: Show a comic and describe the first scene. Student then has to then finish the story.Testing fluency and creativity. Relaying a story using tone and intonation. Meaning is important over grammar.
Q & A: Specific and open ended questions to test who, what, where, when how etc. Formal testing here looking for grammatical errors. Alternatively a newspaper advertisement could be used if the student is more advanced.
Picture description: Show a big colourful picture. To discover any flaws in vocabulary with adjectives. You can also ask Questions to elicit verbs.
Gap Fill: Asking for specific information. Not sure the specific name for this but you know when you have SOME info and student has some DIFFERENT info and you must ask questions to find the missing pieces.

Mind you this is only what I do for 1:1 and it is based on Cambridge Flyers Oral test, just adapted to my own needs. I can give examples of WS if you are interested in any of it.

21 Dec 2009     

izulia
China

Hi Aimee
Have you tried London Test of English for Children? They �ve got samples of tests in all language skills including speaking and listening.
For speaking there are cards with pictures and questions that you turn face down on the table in a shape of a snake and let your SS answer the questions, one at a time, like board game. They also have speaking cards with pictures and topics encouraging SS to talk about.
Check this website:
Hope this is useful :)

21 Dec 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Thank you so much for your ideas!

21 Dec 2009