Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > If Sante wrote back    

If Sante wrote back

alien boy
Japan

With regard to this specific upload then...

I believe the jokes should have involved less negative stereotyping/objectifying/vilifying. As per my comments in the other thread, if there had been an examination of the appropriateness of the stereotyping involved then it would have been appropriate use of language. Otherwise, no - it only reinforces negative stereotypes & ignorance... which is not what we as teachers should be doing.

Thanks for the update, ladybird.

Have a good Christmas everyone!

21 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

At any site (even Orkut, that doesn �t have the education aim) you �ll find a button to target a content as inappropriate. Why shouldn �t we have the right to do the same here?

I agree that everyone is free to download/use what he wants, but inappropriate content is labeled this way for a member and if the majority agrees (using common sense - as Victor told us to do when there are no rules covering the situation) it �s to be removed.

Several wss with content labeled as inappropriate were removed in the past. Is this case different because some members like its content, because the member is a moderator, or because she came to the forum to complain? Sorry, but I don �t see the difference.

Sure, we don �t have the "inappropriate" option to report a ws, but as Victor told us, the cases not covered by the rules may be solved by moderators using common sense. Deleting the ws moderators demonstrated their position and I think it should be respected.

21 Dec 2009     

_babz
Canada

my opinion concerning this Santa sheet.......

The author of that sheet said it was �for Adults �. Does that justify the contribution...I think not. You can entertain and make teaching fun, without having to resort to such levels.

Where does it end?
Should we now have an Adult section on ESLprintables? This isn �t your XXX video rental store.
Should we start teaching SEX 101 or the Kamasutra in our courses too?
Well, if you decide to, there is a way of doing it, without vulgar language, negative stereotypes...like the ones found in that sheet.

I �m sick and tired of teachers wanting, and trying to be cool in front of their students!

This reminds me of a teacher at my school who showed the Exorcist to a bunch of teens...and he felt so cool cause of the positive response from the students...the parents, not so happy.

some teachers need to grow up - stop living in a fantasy, you �re ADULTS, act like ADULTS......

my 2 cents....Hug

21 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Yes, babz, you �re right: we need to grow up!

At any site where there �s a moderation system and any material is reject members understand and try to adjust their material to the site pattern - or they �ll be also banned.

Here at ESL Printables where we have thousands of moderators and I can assure you that at least a hundred are active ones, and where we have a moderation staff really concerned on the site �s cleaning and protection, we see day by day a long line of members who resist on accepting modetation �s decision on their work.

Like children who know the rules but insist on defying them expecting their parents will be lenient and let them do what they want just because they started crying and refuse obeying. Members should stop playing the role of children defying their parents � rules, if a ws is deleted - except from cases where for some reason moderators were led in the wrong way, and it �s not the case here - it is to be respected.

When a ws is reported many of us vote, and if the majority decided it �s not appropriate, doesn �t fit the rules or the like, that �s it. Try to adapt it to remove the content rejected and reupload it to fit the rules. We are not here to play, we are serious. And yes, some members need to grow up!

21 Dec 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I think that  an "inappropriate" button would be welcome....(seeing how things are). However, I think it �s a pitty everything has to be put under a rule otherwise people can �t decide what �s right and wrong.. (That makes me think in other things which are sad actually.. ). I �m not a puritan, but I think you really have to have a rock as a face to stand in front of students and �explain � the meaning of obsene words and phrases.
This is a very controversal topic as there are many many teachers from all over the world with different �ideas � and points of views about this issue.
Some members have said, in the previoues thread, that students hear this language in films, commercials etc.. and that it �s our duty to tell them what it means.. I personally dissagree with this. It �s not MY duty to explain to students and make a class for them to learn swear words..
It �s terrible to think teachers there think it �s cool to be at the same level of students.

21 Dec 2009     

_babz
Canada

� �Some members have said, in the previous thread, that students hear this language in films, commercials etc.. and that it �s our duty to tell them what it means.. I personally dissagree with this. � �

these are the same teachers who give lifts to students with their cars, who meet up with their students in caf�s, who send text messages with them on the weekends.........

how do I know this happens.....there have been at least 3 teachers at my school, who have been fired cause of things like this....

soon, it �s going to be our �duty � to tuck them in at night in elementary school and then give them pick-up lines in highschool....

it just boggles the mind how some teachers in here think....but I still adore each and everyone of you....it �s the Holidays, I �m trying to be nice Heart!!!

21 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Ws can be reported for any member with 10 or more points, but if a ws is voted and the majority of moderators decided for its removal, except if there is a mistake, I don �t see the purpose of opening a thread on the forum to complain about it.

The ws was removed because most of moderators voted it using common sense. Period. Now you have two options: erase the inappropriate content and reupload, or let the story end here. To question the moderation �s decision on the forum is not an adult decision IMHO.

21 Dec 2009     

renca
Czech Republic

Hiya, I am surprised to see a discussion about this ws. I downloaded it yesterday, tried today with my adult students and l we laughed most of the time they were working on the ws. tomorrow I am going to try with my 18+ Ss and I hope it will be a success, I think they know most of the swear words anyway - from films, internet, texting - simply using technologies.

I am also surprised to read that some teachers were fired because of contact with students - like texting, going to clubs or which places were mentioned. I personally communicate with my Ss through moodle and I am happy to see their views in discussion forums. They tell me more than in class - because they have time to think things over, they feel more secure than in face to face communication.

Renata

21 Dec 2009     

Agacica
Poland

I guess I �m the reason of all this fuss.

I just want to say that during my metodology studies I was taught that adolescents are people between 18 and 21 and after their 21st birthday they become full fledged adults.

That means they are mature in the constitutional sense. I had never encouraged anyone to use it with teenagers and if anyone claims otherwise... well, that �s simply mean.
As far as I remember I �ve said:
"The WS is a bit rude so don �t show it too much to teenagers ;P"
I �d like to highlight the significance of this small and maybe unnoticed face-icon sign.
This means irony dear friends.
Besides, your reaction is as if I had offended you, at least!

It makes me a bit sad to see and read all this, after all many of us - fellow teachers - download WS not only to get the stuff they need or get some interesting ideas for their exercises but to have a laugh at the content, too. And that was my intention.

If you don �t find it funny, no problem. Sense of humor is an individual thing and I �m not going to develop on that.

After all the very end of the WS information was important: "Merry Christmas my dear friends".
And it was supposed to be a funny gift for those who will find it funny and interesting.

Let �s end this pointless discussion then to let the Christmas be Merry indeed.

21 Dec 2009     

< Previous   1    2