Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just curiousity...    

Just curiousity...

Maja O.
Poland

Just curiousity...

Dear friends,
I �m an English teacher. I �m working at school for about 10 years now. When I started my work as a teacher I was at the University. I had no experience and frankly speaking, I had no idea how to be a good teacher, I knew nearly nothing about methodology of teaching. I was the only English teacher at my school so I had nobody to ask for help.
When I changed the school and started to work in another place I suddenly discovered that the teachers of this school are regularly observed but the headmaster. It was something new for me but I thought it is my chance to have some clues about my work. Unfortunately, after the observation I knew nothing. I had no feedback. My hreadmaster was watching me during the lesson but he didn �t tell me his opinion.
That is why I want to ask you the question : How is it in your countries ?
 Are you observed ?
 Do you get any feedback afterwards ?
Do you get anything through the observation ?

26 Dec 2009      

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

At my school we �re observed at the beginning of each semester by a coordinator and one or two weeks later we receive a form with the feedback. And... people may be fired if they dislike their work.

26 Dec 2009     

vardaki
Cyprus

An ispector come to the class 3 times the year(40 minutes each) every 2nd year. He watch   the lesson and he mention some positives and he male recommendations.
 If you say "ok" you will have a good assessment...

26 Dec 2009     

ayten67
Turkey

here in TURKIYE we are observed too. They come and listen the lesson for 40 mınutes. they check our files which includes plans, socıal actıvıtıes, marks, exam questions etc. This is like an exam ,they check your performance of 40 mınutes and gıve marks (most 100 points). Also  there are guide teachers for new ones at school. your guide helps you with everything you want. that is good for beginners who has too much questions. I remember my guide teacher and I thanked him a lot cause he was a great teacher and tought me everythıng,many thanks to hım again :)

26 Dec 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

We are observed during our training. After that, it �s pretty much informal. I �ve had principals who never came in my class and some have come more than once. It �s not mandatory for a principal to visit classes. They know what I do because I openly speak of my projects in the staff room or with other teachers.

26 Dec 2009     

aniapen
Poland

Maja,
the thing is probably that your headmaster is not an English teacher, so he didn �t feel competent to make any suggestions or express his opinion about your work. It �s the same at the schools where I work because, although I �m regularly observed by the headmasters, I get hardly any feedback. I think it �s because they teach other subjects and most of them don �t even speak English, so they usually don �t know what to suggest.
So what I decided to do some time ago was to ask a German teacher (there aren �t any other English teachers at my schools) to observe my lessons. It works really well since she is a language teacher and she can speak English. As she is a nice collegue I feel comfortable being observed and I finally get feedback :) Greetings from Silesia! :)

27 Dec 2009     

aleafff
France

We are also observed by inspectors once in two years.Unfortunately,they are not master of English.They don �t even know how to speak English.This term,we have been observed by a French teacher for 80 minutes.He doesn �t know English,either.He has recommended us to have courses from teachers working at private schools.It was unbelieveable.He doesn �t want to accept that we don �t have the same opportunities that the private schools provide for their teachers.We teach crowded classes with 40 students .When i reminded this,he got angry with me because he waited us to say � �Ok,you are right.We are not qualified in our area. � �

27 Dec 2009