Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Old classic... Play, do, go adult athletes    

Old classic... Play, do, go adult athletes

pissnisse
France

Old classic... Play, do, go adult athletes

Hello everyone and Best Wishes for the New Year !

As from tomorrow I �ll be teaching a group of athletes and I �m wondering if anyone out there could help me with this old classic : If someone is a professional swimmer and gets the question "what sports do you do" should he/she answer "I swim" ? Would he/she really say :  �I go swimming � ? And if he/she has swimming practise the same day what would he/she say "I have swimming practise this afternoon" or "I �m going swimming this afternoon"? Am I right when I feel that the second sentence is (and that this goes for all �go � + -ing) more appropriate when we �re dealing with recreational swimmers ? I know this is a much discussed question but I haven �t been able to find a satisfying answer, only lists of when you use do, go (+ sports ending in -ing), play.
Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Elisabeth

7 Jan 2010      

douglas
United States

When I swam in high school I used to say:

" I swim." or " I �m a swimmer."  (used also say I was a fish ;-) )

and I used to go to "swim practice"

I can �t tell you if it �s correct, but it is what was in practical use.

Douglas

7 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

What sports do you do? - should be seen as it is with a job. i.e. the person should answer as if it were his "job" - which in your case it is.

So:

What sports do you do? - should be answered as so:  I �m a swimmer. I �m a high jumper. I �m a marathon runner. .. etc.

7 Jan 2010     

pissnisse
France

Thank you very much Douglas and Zora for your helpful answers,

Regards,

Elisabeth

7 Jan 2010     

pissnisse
France

Also thank you Douglas for spelling practice (noun) correctly (with a �c � and not an �s � like i did - verb)...

Elisabeth

7 Jan 2010     

dennismychina
China

Quite right Douglar, except I �d say swimming practice.

7 Jan 2010