Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > will or will have?    

will or will have?

lindry
Tunisia

will or will have?

Hi colleagues. Could anyone tell me that is the appropriate tense to use in these two situations, and why?
1.Many teenagers (become)________ able to rely on themselvesin a short time.
2. In a short time from now, many of them (leave )________ their parents home to live in a flat they share with other teens.

Thanks in advance.

7 Jan 2010      

yanogator
United States

The first is definitely "will become", because "in a short time" refers to the coming period of time, not to the end of that period. The future perfect deals with an action that will be completed at a point in the future. The emphasis is on the completion, and the word "by" is often involved.

By June, many of them will have left their parents � homes to live in flats with other teens.
   The emphasis is that they have left.

In a short time from now, many of them will leave their parents � homes...
   The emphasis is on their leaving (a process), rather than the completion of an action.

Next month, I will pay off my car.
By the end of next month, I will have paid off my car.

I hope the difference is clear.

Bruce

7 Jan 2010     

akuzmenok
Ukraine

1. will - used for predictions in the future
2. will be leaving - the natural course of events (the action will be happening as a result of some circumstances, naturally)

No will have

7 Jan 2010     

akuzmenok
Ukraine

I mean, in #1 - will become
in #2 - will be leaving

7 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there:

1. is "will become" because it refers to something in the future.
2. is "will have left" because the "by June" tells us that the action in the sentence will be an action that will have been completed by that time.

7 Jan 2010     

lindry
Tunisia

Many thanks to Bruce, Zora and Akuzmenok for the clarification.

7 Jan 2010     

aquarius_gr
Greece

Imo #2 NOT will have left (only if it said By "some future moment"). Will be leaving is correct.

7 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

Actually, "in a short time from now" - could like saying "by... future time" - I would say both options are correct here. Future Perfect or Continuous.

8 Jan 2010     

douglas
United States

I agree with Zora on #2. but..

#1 can be either "become" or "will become":  that teenagers become able to rely on themselves can be a general truth so we can use the simple present.

Douglas

8 Jan 2010