Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Correcting errors in the work of other contributors.    

Correcting errors in the work of other contributors.

hollandhaggis
Netherlands

Correcting errors in the work of other contributors.

Hi
I �m a fairly new member here and I have been browsing the worksheets on the forums . I want to make sure I have a good selection of worksheets to use when my partner and I start voluntary ESL work later this year.
Some of the worksheets are really excellent and I am looking forward to having enough points to download them. However others are poor with spelling and grammatical errors.
As a native English speaker and a teacher, this makes me squirm a little. I tried to find some way of pointing out these errors but I could not find any link.
I even wrote politely to a contributor in December to let her know that her powerpoint exercise had a major error but she hasn �t corrected it and there have now been 33 downloads of this incorrect exercise.
The mistake was..."There were not ..... food or drink ." The student has to fill in the blank with �much �or �many � . The problem lies with "There were not" which should be � �There was not".
 This is a very basic grammatical error and I don �t like to think of 33 other teachers using it with their pupils.

Can anyone tell me if it is posible to have such errors corrected?
Thanks HH.

9 Jan 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
first of all, welcome!!!
I know it �s frustrating to find mistakes in a ws, but it happens to all of us (2 days ago, I gave a ws to my pupils I had made myself, and I realized that there was a small mistake - "my" instead of "her" - but I had already done all my photocopies, I had my pupils correct it, but some spotted it before I said anything...)...

what you can do is write a comment, so that others will see it when they download the ws!

but don �t worry too much, i �m sure most teachers check the ws they download before giving them to their pupils!!! or at least I hope so!
Elodie

9 Jan 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Hi! How are you doing?
I �m not a native speaker... I think native speakers, which surely are more proficient, should collaborate with other teachers by telling them kindly there �s sthg to be changed
It happened to me once that I typed in a worksheet �sheeps � as a plural of �sheep � Then a native speaker made me realize it was wrong, I edited it and I felt happy because...the mistake was corrected
As far as I am concerned, comments are welcomed and... I don �t receive feedback THAT often. Either I don �t make mistakes or I make them and nobody tells me about it Good topic hollandhaggis!

9 Jan 2010     

serenity light
Kuwait

hi, I agree with ELOJOLIE that teachers should have a look at wss before distibuting them to ss, because there might be some mistakes and I �m sure that teachers once they know that they would be willing to correct them,,,,

However, sometimes ( some of us) find difficulty when updating the contributions for some reason,this happened to me many times and I guess this happened to many others...

regards..

9 Jan 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Well, nobody is perfect. Even a native speaker can make mistakes. We spend so much time on a worksheet that we get to a point we don �t see it anymore.
I know I make sure that all my texts are editable when I upload, leaving the choice to change sentences or correct mistakes and I never hand out a printable to my students without reading it first and making the exercise myself.

9 Jan 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi, everyone!

As far as our mistakes in ws, I would say  I agree with manoski(f) that nobody is perfect. Sometimes we don �t have a clue how it �s better to say in Russian. My husband
likes correcting people on TV... for example.(Naughty boy!)
I used to work with the British people for over 10 years and at the United Nations in NY where people were speaking much English, but they couldn �t explain why they spoke this way or another... I think everyone agrees that it �s any teacher �s first responsibility to be ready for a lesson and check all the papers he /she intends to introduce. Am I right?
 And here we can discuss, look for a better way to solve a problem, help each other,
 but not  judge . I �m sorry for mistakes I made!

9 Jan 2010     

deeedee
Spain

Hi to all,

I think every teacher who downloads a worksheet has a responsibility to make useful comments about it.  Everybody likes to get a "thank you" after a download, but if people would make more detailed comments, everybody would benefit from them.  I try to do this, and I make corrections when I see a glaring mistake, but I want people to know that I do it for the good of everyone and not in order to criticize.  I am a native English speaker--a �domino � among many; our effect can be far-reaching if we don �t keep everything to ourselves.  As for those of you who are prone to make mistakes because you need more practice, if you make it known that you welcome the corrections, you will open the door for others to freely correct you and you will learn more and advance on the road to perfecting your English--both yours and your students �! 

Thanks for this topic, hollandhaggis!

19 Jan 2010