Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > TEACHING PHONICS - HELP!    

TEACHING PHONICS - HELP!

izulia
China

TEACHING PHONICS - HELP!

Hello dear colleagues, I would like to ask you for help!

I �m supposed to run a one hour workshop for our school �s teaching assisstants  who work in primary classes and help English teachers deliver their lessons. The workshop is called HOW TO TEACH PHONICS.
I have been working with young beginners for 6 years and have gained some good experience in how to teach beginners. I �ve been using Jolly Phonics and Soundworks programmes.
However I don �t have enough material to share regarding teaching phonics for higher level students (in British system - for Years 4-6). I �ve been looking on the internet for some ideas on HOW TO TEACH PHONICS for higher levels, but instead I keep finding worksheets that are used for that level. What I need is some structured activities, games, etc. that they could use in their classrooms. Perhaps another phonics programme that is available online for free.
Do you have any ideas? I would really appreciate some help
Thank you!!!

9 Jan 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Not sure if I understand exactly what you need, but perhaps it would help to use listening activities (there are all kinds of listening sites available) and games, but what you could maybe also concentrate on is rhyming (which really helps with phoning) and homophones (there is plenty of wss at ESL aimed specifically at this).  But let �s also hear from other people.
PS: there�s a lesson plan here http://www.teach-nology.com/tutorials/teaching/phonics/model/, and I guess you could turn this search for words with certain sounds into a game...

9 Jan 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

I �ll email you a paper I wrote on teaching phonics.  You will easily be able to do a one hour workshop with it.

David

10 Jan 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

Do you use any p2p programs? If you do I can put Cbeebies Fun with Phonics 1 & 2 on it and you can download it. (books and CDs)

10 Jan 2010