Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching in public schools    

Teaching in public schools

DUSIA
Poland

Teaching in public schools

I am a teacher in a public school in Poland. I am just curious what your work looks like.

I teach in a school where are students between 7 - 13 years old and 14-16 years old (primary and secondary school).
      Number of students in one class is about 20. If there are more than 24 students class in divided into 2 groups.
         We start lessons not earlier than 8 a.m. Number of lessons during the day is different ( from 1 to 8 for a teacher). Students have usually 4-7 lessens (45 minutes each ). After each lesson we have a 10 minutes break. After 12 a.m. there is 20 minutes break.

How about you?
Big smile

10 Jan 2010      

Mallerenga
Spain

I �m a teacher in a public school in Catalunya (a region in the north of Spain). In our school we have "Infantil" between 3-5 and Primary 6-12. The number of studens is nearly the same as in you school. The lessons start at 9:00. Students have got 3 or 4 lessons of 60 � or 45 � in the morning and 2 lessons of 60 � in the afternoon.  The teachers work 30 hours of which 23 are with students. In the morning there is a break of 30 � and kids have a 2 hour break after 1 p. m. So that, they normally finish the lessons at 5 p.m.  

10 Jan 2010     

chalco
France

I teach in a secondary school (to 11 to 15 year old students). We start at 8.15 and finish at 4.45 which means that the students can have up to 7 periods of 55 minutes a day : 4 in the morning (with a 15-minute break around 10) and 3 in the afternoon (with another 15-minute break around 3.30). We all have a 90-minute lunch break in between.

We can have up to 30 students per class (my biggest group this year counts 28 students).

In France, teachers have to work 18 hours a week in front of students (but many work extra hours)

10 Jan 2010     

tubisch011
Turkey

I teach in a secondary school. (14-18 year old students) According to their fields numder of the class changes. 9th grades are 30 students 12th grades especially the class I give lesson is just 3. we have 8 lessons a day each leasson is 45 minutes long,10 minutes break and 1 hour luch time. our school starts at 8:00 and finishes at 16:00. Teachers in our countr work at least 15 hours a week at most 30 hours. I work 31 hours a week. I work 1 hour without being paid.. But that �s not a problem for me. Last year I worked 34 hours a week. That �s because we don �t have enough English teachers.

10 Jan 2010     

Loree83
Italy

Hi! I teach in a public school in Italy, I teach in the primary school (6-11years old). We start at 8 o �clock and finish at 1 pm for 3 days a week but we have after school activities untill 4  pm, and for 2 days at week we finish at half past four pm.
In my classroom there are about 20 children.
Our lessons last 55 minutes, and we have two break-time: at 11 o �clock and at 12.30-2.00p.m.
My students in a day can have 5 different subjects. We are 3/4 teachers for class.  
Personally, I have 26 hours in class with them. But it depends on what you teach. 

10 Jan 2010     

DUSIA
Poland

I have found it so interesting to compare our working conditions! It seems that here in Poland they are much different to most of other countries.  And how about number of English lessons the children have. In my school children who are 7-9 years old have 2 hours (45 minutes each) weekly, older children have usually 3 hours.

10 Jan 2010