Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can anybody tell me the rule, please? Pronunciation of final     

Can anybody tell me the rule, please? Pronunciation of final

juliag
Japan

Can anybody tell me the rule, please? Pronunciation of final

Hi,

Hope everyone is having a nice Friday and has a fun weekend lined up.

I would like to ask for your help. I an trying to make a printable about the pronunciation of final "y" (excluding "ay" "oy" ey") to help my students , but I can �t find a rule in any of my books, or what I would call an accurate one on the Internet.

As you are no doubt aware there are 2 pronunciations:
/I/ as in sky, fly try etc.
/E/ as in berry, happy, lazy etc.

The rule I did find says that:

you should use /I/ for:
 1) all 2 and 3 letter words - this seems to be correct, I think
2) all verbs that end in a "y" that DOESN �T come after a double consonant - I don �t think this is correct because I can think of some exceptions. For example, "tidy" doesn´t have a double consonant, but we don´t pronounce the "y" as /I/

It goes on to say you should use /E/ for:
1) All nouns - well I can �t agree with this unless you specify nouns with 4 or more letters because, as we have already seen we have sky etc.
2) All adverbs - not 100% but this would seem to be correct
3) All adjectives -  not 100% but this would also seem to be correct
4) All verbs where the y is preceded by a double consonant - again this doesn �t seem to be correct because, for example "study" doesn �t have a double consonant before the "y" but is still pronounced /E/.

I am feeling very confused and not sure how to explain to my students and so if any of you know a workable rule for this I would be so grateful if you could PM it to me. (Rather than posting it here as I �m off to bed in a few minutes). Of course I am planning to upload the printable I make when I can get the rules sorted out in my head.

Thank you in advance for all your help.
Hugs
Julia

15 Jan 2010      

juliag
Japan

On second thoughts, you can always just post your replies here and then I check this thread tomorrow. That will probably be easier for you guys, and then you can also feed off each other �s ideas, too.

15 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Julia, I usually explain it as follows:
If there is one syllable in the word, that is there are no other vowels in the word, you are to read it as [ai]:
fly
sky
dry
by
my
shy

If there are two syllables and more, and the letter y stands at the end of the word, you should read it as [i]
many
lazy
dictionary
Billy
happy
discovery
study etc

The letter y in the middle of the word is usually pronounced as [ai], but you �d better consult a dictionary when you see such word.
cyber
cyclone
hyper

but
physics

I hope it helps

Best wishes

15 Jan 2010     

juliag
Japan

That �s very clear, thank you SonnStar.

Just there is one point I �m still unsure about.
Words like rely, July, and apply have 2 syllables but we pronounce the final y as [ai].

As these 3 examples I could think of all end in "ly" I wondered if this was the rule...

But then I thought of quickly, quietly etc, which end in "ly" but we pronounce [i].

How do you (or anyone else reading this) explain this?
Do you just give the students a list of exceptions?
Or is there a rule that accounts for this, too?

Sorry to be so mcuh trouble and thanks again.

15 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

In July, apply, reply, defy and deny the syllable is stressed. I think that is the reason.

But `occupy [ai] (the first syllable is stressed).

I �ll try to find a book on reading rules and then write here.

15 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

I think I �ve found something. If y is a suffix of a verb it should be pronounced as [ai] no matter where the stress is:

identify occupratify notify satisfy fortify deify

And in a noun �ally � -y should be pronounced as [ai].

15 Jan 2010     

puddyd
Oman

I think it �s also a good idea to stress the word �usually � and not �always �, because we have so many exceptions to the rule. Very frustrating for us and them.
Have a good weekend
;o)

15 Jan 2010