Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP AGAIN, PLEASE - HOW TO TRANSCRIBE THE /ay/ /oy/ sounds     

HELP AGAIN, PLEASE - HOW TO TRANSCRIBE THE /ay/ /oy/ sounds

juliag
Japan

HELP AGAIN, PLEASE - HOW TO TRANSCRIBE THE /ay/ /oy/ sounds

Hi again,

Thanks for all your help yesterday everyone.

Following on from that I would like to ask how I should write the /ay/ and /oy/ sounds on my printable (that is at last nearly completed by the way!)

Yesterday, when I wrote my original mail I represented the final y sounds as /I/ and /E/.
I noticed that in their replies (and also in some material I found on the internet) they are represented as [ai] and [i] respectively, so I also included this on the printable.

Now I want to know how I should represent the /ay/ (=A) and /oy/ sounds that I will also cover in the printable.

I had a look at some sites about the IPA, but I �m sorry if I �m being stupid but I can �t make head or tail of them.

Does anyone know how to represent these sounds in writing?
Or does anyone have a good link which makes it really clear and obvious?

I would really appreciate any help you could give me.
Thanks once again for all your time and patience.

Enjoy your Saturday.

Love
Julia

16 Jan 2010      

boydegg
Thailand

As far as I remember the IPA chart has ay as ...  /eI/   that �s the sound you hear in face, make, hey, train and plate.  And oy (toilet, boy, annoying, joy) is represented as /oI/

Brian

16 Jan 2010     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Try this:

I hope it �s useful.
Sabrina

16 Jan 2010     

juliag
Japan

Thank you both for your very helpful answersBig smile.

Good night.
Love Julia

16 Jan 2010