Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Three strikes and you are out    

Three strikes and you are out

zailda
Brazil

Three strikes and you are out

Hi!

As Victor told us (read his thread: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=15740&page=1) if a member has 3 ws removed as copies, he will be automatically banned. I saw at the reporting page that some members report ws as copies when they aren�t. Some wss are in fact repeated, non-ESL resources, etc. But they are reported as a copy.

If the member has 3 ws containing other language, for instance,  and they are reported as copies (and not with the proper reason), the member will be unfairly banned.

So I ask members to check the proper reason to report the ws before reporting. And ask moderators to refrain from voting for the removal of wss reported as copies if they aren�t, even when there�s another reason to delete it. I suggest we wait until it disappears from the reporting page and then report it for the real reason.

Hope you understand my concern.

Have a nice day!

18 Jan 2010      

cheezels
New Zealand

If it has been reported for the wrong reason then it �s easy to go to the worksheet page and report it for the right reason... Big smile
but it can only be re reported with the correct option by someone who has not voted for it or reported it in the first place as we get only the 1 vote for each worksheet and reporting it in the first place counts as your vote.

You know I was thinking about this a couple of weeks back when people report without a link and then the proper link comes up in the comments section.. the person whose worksheet gets removed will only see the original reported reason (without link)... I think that when that happens we should do the same as above, re report it with the correct link.. Then the person knows exactly why their worksheet was removed...
Just a thought!

18 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

cheezels I agree with you but moderators have to be cautious and click on the correct �I agree� that corresponds to the real reason for the removal. And the best option will be if people stopped reporting the wss for �the first� reason on the list, and looked for the appropriate description of the wss breaking the rules.

As I previously said many times: I�m for responsible reporting. All caution isn�t enough when managing other person�s work & feelings. Why to report a ws if the person isn�t sure even about the reason to do it? I ask members: in doubt, don�t do it.

18 Jan 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Hm, you are right but...I just saw reported old ws as a copy but the reason was: not in English. I see this as a big problem. I am aware that some older members are happy because of the rules not being the same for all wss, but there should be a chance to report even older wss if they are breaking the rules. Especially now, when users will be banned after 3 strikes.

18 Jan 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

@Zailda: I agree with you too. I never vote unless there is a link and it is crystal clear. :-)

18 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

@Michaela, Victor stated a new rule and it also has to be respected. He said that old ws are to be reported only if they are copies. I do agree with you that some (or many) are breaking the rules we have now, but as the site�s owner he decided that they have to stay anyway.

So I understand that we have to respect all the rules and not the ones �we like� or �we agree with�. Old wss are to be reported if they are copies, no matter if they are not related to ESL, or are written in Hebrew. They have to stay. If they are copies, they are to be reported and removed, if there are 3 from the same old member, he will be banned.

These are the rules, let�s respect all of them and not �choose the ones we agree with�.

18 Jan 2010     

victor
Spain

Hi,

You are both right, and I think this is important. I �ll include it in the moderators page.
If a contribution has been reported for the wrong reason the best thing  we can do is reporting again choosing the right option.
If a worksheet is reported without a link, we should better provide the proper link reporting it again, and not in the comments.

Have a nice day

18 Jan 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

@ Zailda,
I think you have misunderstood me. I said I don �t agree with the wss breaking rules being kept but that doesn �t mean I vote against the rules. But because of this new attribute (3 strikes and UR out) I think we should have some option to handle it. Right now we have only 1 day to find non ESL wss and report them. I believe it is not enough. But as you said, Victor is the owner and he makes the rules. I only said my opinion, but I still obey the owner �s rules (at least I try to do my best;o).

18 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

@Michaela, I think I was not clear and gave the impression that I disagree with you. In fact I couldn�t agree more and also think we should have the option to report an old ws for other reasons, but his decision was taken after a hot discussion on the forum (about old wss being updated to fit the new rules) so Victor decided to keep them.

There are thousands of members digging through the recent contributions page every day and I don�t think a ws against the rules would escape from everyone�s eyes.

I ask moderators (every member with more than 1.000 points) to help clean the site, examining wss at the recent contributions page at least once a day. I suggest they start with the ones with less downloads.

It�s the minimum we can do to pay for the 1.000 downloads (or tons more) we got from the other members. If you don�t have time, check it at least once a week. As Michaela said, we only have one day to find all the wss against the rules.

18 Jan 2010     

eng789
Israel

Are "old" non-English wss allowed to stay and take up space?  This is and was an ESL site.

18 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

As Victor stated, "old ws are to be reported only if they are copies" (his words). So they are to stay.

18 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >