Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "what don īt kill you make more strong"    

"what don īt kill you make more strong"

mauteus
Brazil

"what don īt kill you make more strong"

"what don īt kill you make you more strong"

I heard that in a song by metallica, as songs lyrics are like poems, they can do whatever they want (specially they, METALLICA).  Ok, I kow it īs grammatically wrong, But a student came up with something like, "hey, how about spoken language, is it regular anywhere?" "How people really use superlatives and stuff all over the world? "
I got stuck. What do you guys have for me?

thanks in advance.

18 Jan 2010      

Lana.
Ireland

As far as it goes for me, artists (in its most general sense) are allowed to play with the language, adapt it, break it, bend it et cetera, while we simple mortals, are not.

People would normally use superlatives the way we teach them bar those cases when they don īt know the rule and invent it on the go. Now, whether Metallica can be considered people is another question...LOL

Metallica fans - forgive me. As I said, they are artists, and perhaps the song expresses the point better the way it is, artists occasionally have the intention to shock people, to wake them up, to surprise them, so maybe that was the case.

18 Jan 2010     

eng789
Israel

It īs called "poetic license" - using improper language in in songs etc. 

Native speakers tend to be a bit lazy with their language and sometimes don īt follow the rules 100%.  Pupils need to know that slang and loose language isn īt always suitable - they need to suit their language to the situation and the type of people they are conversing with. 
I hope this makes sense and in some way helps.
Barbara 

18 Jan 2010     

mauteus
Brazil

Lana,

A student told me the band always do that in order to "fit" the lyrics into the melody. He sang the song for me and in the correct grammar way and  it sounded really strange... Whatever

Barbara,

That īs what I īm talking about. We, speakers of english as second language are most of the time "tied" to grammar rules. ... Language is alive. Thanks lady

18 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Mauteus,
Many people use this kind of "grammar" when talking with their friends. Some, unfortunately, don īt change in more formal situations, and it reflects on their education.

Bruce

19 Jan 2010