Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Tips in British/American restaurants    

Tips in British/American restaurants

lovinglondon
Spain

Tips in British/American restaurants

Hi!, I need your help one more time! Can you tell me what �s usual in a british/American restaurants as tips are concerned? Is it normal to give them?
Thank you!

19 Jan 2010      

kaz76
United Kingdom

Hi

In the UK people usually about 10% but this isn �t compulsory at all so some people will leave nothing, others might leave more or sometimes they will just leave the change.  However, some restaurants will add a discretionary 15% tip to your bill if there are over 6 or 8 people in your group.  But as it is discretionary, you don �t have to pay it.

Karen

19 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

In Canada, my friends and I used to leave "twice the sales tax" as a standard which was more or less 15%. 10% is quite normal though. Also, it is not customary for restaurants to include the tip in the price. 

19 Jan 2010     

lshorton99
China

I remember my dad telling me that a tip should be 10% + tax - roughly 12.5% of the bill. Generally in the UK 10% is standard +/- depending on service etc.

19 Jan 2010     

lovinglondon
Spain

Thank you for your replies!

19 Jan 2010