Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Enough theory please! A teacher said    

Enough theory please! A teacher said

sorji
Tunisia

Enough theory please! A teacher said

Dear teachers,all over the world,
A million thanks for every suggestion you supplied me with.Now I �m pretty sure that I �ve got real friends on whom I can rely and thanks to whom I never return empty-handed.Sometimes, If I �m stuck,I ask you a favor in the course of a lesson, and you save the situation.I can �t depict how one feels when one feels that there are people out there whom one can trust and count on.
Today my question, or rather my request is the following:
I intend to make a presentation to some novice teachers about something different,I mean something practical and handy because they are fed up with ppt presentations and theory.They need practical and useful workshops that they can readily use with their beginning classes.They say their heads are stuffed with theory, but when it comes to practice, they �re kind of stuck in a rut.Therefore, I would like you to help me with your suggestions in order to present something new,practical and to the point, that will benefit me and these teachers alike.Still to mention,they teach elementary levels.
I hope you got my point.
Thanks.

20 Jan 2010      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello again,

You may want to find or create interesting PowerPoint presentations, which would engage everybody, with lots of challenging questions and examples...Find videos with sample lessons- teachers love wacthing these. Some books for teachers by Longman have DVDs with sample lessons...
It �s a good idea to organize discussions with teachers about things that may worry them, say, what to do if..., talk to them about things that may worry them...
tell them how they can use extra resources and where they can get them, ask them to prepare sample lessons with some new ideas ... but do not forget - don �t deliever a lecture, let them talk a lot, ask  lots of questions...make it fun :) Create classroom situations and ask them how they would deal with them...
look through the books your school works with and think how you would improve them and what you would add, what you would omit etc, ask teachers � ideas.

good luck

20 Jan 2010     

sorji
Tunisia

Thank you dear Kate for all that.I hope other teachers will post more practical suggestionsEmbarrassed

20 Jan 2010     

Fulyaa
Turkey

Dear Sorji,

Below are my suggestions:

1- A workshop about ice-breakers.

2- A wokshop about Web.2.O tools. I think it should be very basic as we don �t want to scare them :) You can present a few class or student blogs as an example and then ask them how they can apply it to their classes. (why not create one together)

or there are many digital story telling tools like Animoto. (why not create one together)

3- A workshop about Global Collaborative websites such as ePals, iEarn, etc. You can go over the websites and go over the work done collaboratively by teachers and students from all over the world. One of our aims is to help them become 21st Century teachers, isn �t it?

4- A workshop about songs, poems and how we can use them in our classes

Good luck with your presentation.

Regards,

Fulya

20 Jan 2010     

sorji
Tunisia

Thanks dear Fulyaa.Your suggestions certainly will work wonders.I hope I �ll get more state-of-the-art techniques to help me make a one-off presentation.

20 Jan 2010     

lshorton99
China

I go to conferences when I can and the workshops I find most helpful are the ones that give you lots of activities you can use in class. I went to a brilliant one which had different activities to teach grammar. An example of an activity was getting students to put a piece of paper on their head. They would then be told to draw two animals on the right, one in the centre and one on the left. When they took the drawing off their head, the animals were completely unrecognisable. This can be used to practise anything from modals of deduction - �It could be a... � to simple �Is it a... �

My suggestion is that you include a number of activities of this type in your presentation so teachers have practical ideas to take away with them. Get them to do the activities in your talk - they �ll really enjoy it!

Lindsey

21 Jan 2010