Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Flashcards vs Clip art    

Flashcards vs Clip art

donapeter
Romania

Flashcards vs Clip art

My question today: What �s the difference between Flash cards and simple Clip Arts??
A bigger Clip art (let �s say - half a page) and another one( also half a page) are 2 flash cards? 

In my opinion the first wss above is a set , as there are only fruits, one can cut them into pieces and make flashcards(we can even consider it a set of 6 flash cards) and the third wss above is the same thing BUT bigger (is so funny-LOL bigger is better ) and we don �t bother to cut, we just print it and waste paper.

22 Jan 2010      

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Apparently it is allowed if there is English writing on it but otherwise no. 

I don �t see the point in a flashcard with he writing on the same side as the picture, unless your students are just learning to read.. so this whole "not an ESL resource" rule confuses me... 

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=92

22 Jan 2010     

dennismychina
China

That�s the glory of using powerpoint. The picture appears for you (the teacher) to solicit whatever you require from the ss. It�s an apple etc., and then the teacher would bring up the word relating to the picture. If the ss are too young to read the TT would bring up some sort of affirmation. Eg., Good Job � Well done � yes. I normally use animated pictures (the funnier the better) witch convey the meaning of correct or wrong. I do sometime cringe when looking through the new powerpoint presentations. But, like worksheets, you only download what you think you can use.
Enjoy.
PS. Please hit enter after you insert a link. That way you activate the link. Otherwise one (or at least I) can�t follow it. THKS.

22 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

dennismychina 
My point above ......as a moderator how can I tell a wss is a flashcard or just a simple image- clip art (or set of images). 
We all know how to use flashcards....but...where is the graphical limit? 

22 Jan 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I agree with RabbitWho and prefer flashcards without words. I also agree there is confusion concerning this point. In my opinion, however, there shouldn �t be more than 2 pictures per page otherwise the flashcards would be tiny when printed. One per page is indeed overkill like donapeter claims. 6 cards in a set is an absolute minimum (otherwise people will start uploading images one by one).

22 Jan 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I always thought that flaschcads shouldn �t be considered an original work. You can find tousands of flashcards about any subject for free on the web. Copy and past pictures from the net and write the name is quite easy. But as these are Victor �s rules, we have to follow.

22 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

@s.lefevre have you ever tried to make pictionary? I took me two days to make it.  Is it really easy?

@RabbitWho and PhilipR. I think Victor asks to send flashcards with words because some words may be unknown for the teacher who dowloads them, for example, s/he may not know some musical terms or fruit. 

22 Jan 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I didn �t write about pictionary but about flashcards.

22 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

tell me if you see any difference: 
and 
How can I cut the second one? I do not want to talk about the amount of time spent to make the first one and the ....time to make the second one. IMHO , the second one is not at all a flash card. Just clip art.

22 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

OK, I see, s.lefevre.
donapeter, I tend to agree with you.

22 Jan 2010