Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Gerund or infinitive?    

Gerund or infinitive?

mailis
Greece

Gerund or infinitive?

Dear All,

I am teaching �gerund or infinitive � and i have a question. After "would" should we always use infinitive? For example the verb "like" is followed by gerund or infinitive without changing the meaning of the sentence. However, in the following sentence:

"I wouldn �t like to lose my job" is  correct rather than "I wouldn �t like losing my job" because of "would"

...correct me if I �m wrong

thank you in advance for your help!

23 Jan 2010      

serene
Greece

Would and should are always followed by a bare infinitive (without to). In your sentence e.g. wouldn �t is followed by like (bare infinitive).

The expression would like (want to) is followed by the infinitive.

23 Jan 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Both are possible according to me. Instead of Swan, let me refer to the highly accurate and scientific Googlefight...

23 Jan 2010     

volga
United States

I agree with Philip. I would even say that to me -ing form sounds better here, i.e. that �s what I would use.

Oh, well, according to Googlefight, I would lose. But I would also lose if I said �my friend and I � instead of �me and my friend �. All this proves is that people don �t speak in accordance with prescribed grammars.

The language shapes us and we shape the language we use.

Cheers!

23 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I wouldn �t like to lose my job... - is a prospect in the future, whereas I like swimming... is a completely different type of statement (likes and dislikes in everyday life). In this second case you can practically also say I like to swim. without changing the meaning. The first sentence, the job one, is conditioned by would, as Serene says. So the rule you mention 
For example the verb "like" is followed by gerund or infinitive without changing the meaning of the sentence., like all rules, depends on the situation. (I even had a professor at the university who taught us that I like swimming. refers to the joy of swimming, whereas we should use I like to swim. as in I think it wise/healthier etc. to swim (than to e. g. play tennis).

23 Jan 2010