Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > variety vs diversity    

variety vs diversity

k.samula
Poland

variety vs diversity

Dear All,

does anyone know what is the difference between variety and diversity?

Thank you in advance!

25 Jan 2010      

5puravida5
Costa Rica

That is a very good question because if a non native speaker looked the words up in the dictionary they seem to mean the same thing although as a native speaker they do mean different things to me. Diversity and variety are sometimes synonomous and can be used interchangeably. 

Both words mean the absence of uniformity but they are used differently too.

Variety is usually used when talking about animals and plants whereas diversity would more likely be used when speaking of people.  Variety is used when describing a category within a species based on some hereditary difference. An orchid is a flower but it isn �t your common garden variety which is an expression.

What a variety of flowers you have in your garden!
There is such a diversity of people in the United States.

Variety is also used when describing entertainment of a mixed variety. So a "variety show" is one where singing, dancing, acting etc. is included. In this case, I �ve never heard of a diversity show. :)

I think the difference is so slight that in most cases you can use them interchangeably.

Hope this helps.

25 Jan 2010     

lshorton99
China

I agree entirely with 5puravida5. If you need to explain it to your students I suggest you get them to look at collocations, rather than a simple dictionary definition because, as 5puravida5 so clearly put, the dictionary might show them to have the same meaning. Look at the uses rather than the definition.

26 Jan 2010     

Jayho
Australia

These are excellent suggestions.  Even googling these words individually brings up a number of collocations. (They also occur together which sounds unnatural to me).

I came across an interesting blog on this topic: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic13345.html

Cheers

Jayho

26 Jan 2010     

douglas
United States

From the link Jayho gave us I think this best sums it up:

Variety brings (mainly) the idea of a choice.
Diversity � (mainly) the idea of a difference (from �divert �?)

Douglas

26 Jan 2010     

k.samula
Poland

Thank you very much! That �s really helpful :)

26 Jan 2010