Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > SEASONS ALL OVER THE WORLD    

SEASONS ALL OVER THE WORLD

Sonn
Russian Federation

SEASONS ALL OVER THE WORLD

Dear teachers,

As far as I know seasons start not on the same date in different countries. For example, here in Russia winter starts on the 1st of December and finishes on the 28/29 of February. (The snow may fall in November and in October, but inspite of this we consider winter to be started on December,1)
Spring: March,1-May, 31
Summer: June,1-August, 31
Autumn: September, 1-November, 30.

Is it the same in your country?

27 Jan 2010      

juliag
Japan

It �s terribly embarassing but I realised I don �t know the actual dates when the seasons change in my home country (the UK) any longer!!

But I thought it was an interesting topic and found this on Wikipeida:

The date at which each season begins is different in different countries. In the United States, people say the seasons begin at the solstices and equinoxes. The summer solstice is the longest day of the year, and the winter solstice is the shortest. The equinox is the time when the day and the night are the same number of hours. So in the USA, summer begins at summer solstice, winter at winter solstice, spring at the spring (vernal) equinox and autumn at the autumnal equinox.

In Britain, people traditionally say that the seasons begin about seven weeks earlier: spring begins on Candlemas (February 2), summer on May Day (May 1), autumn on Lammas (August 1), and winter on All Hallows (November 1). The Irish calendar is similar, but Spring begins on February 1.

In Denmark, spring begins on March 1, summer on June 1, autumn on September 1 and winter on December 1. In Australia, summer begins on December 1, autumn on March 1, winter on June 1, and spring on September 1.

which showed me there �s a lot more variety than I would have expected (with obvious exception of southern-northern hemisphere thing).

Can �t believe that Autumn in the UK starts on August 1. August was always the hottest month of the year, at least when I was a kid. Which wasn �t so many decades ago despite the cheeky thoughts of some of you out there...Wink

27 Jan 2010     

mariaolimpia
Portugal

Hi, Natalia!

In Portugal, this year spring starts on 20th March, summer on 21st June, autumn on 23rd September and winter 21st December.

Hugs from Portugal

27 Jan 2010     

Bare
Croatia

The same thing here in Croatia Smile ( as in Germany )

by the way ,in the part of Croatia where I live ( at the seaside) we rarely have snow during winter - but when we have bura /north wind / and snow or rain we don �t leave our houses as it is case now - today and tomorrow we have to stay at home - no school....

Regards,

Goga

27 Jan 2010     

Pachy
Spain

Same in Spain as in Portugal or sort of...:
Spring: 21 March -l 20/21 June
Summer: 20/21 June - 21/ Sept
Autumn: 21 Sept - 21 Dec
Winter: 21 Dec - 20 March

Winter is being rather hard all over Spain: cold, rain, snow, even in places where there haven �t been snow in years... well, all over Spain, except in the Canaries. I spent Christmas time there and, believe me, I could go to the beach nearly every day (28 - 30� centigrades). It was amazing and delicious!!Cool

27 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Wow! Thank you! So much interesting information. It would also be nice to see people from another Hemishere telling about their seasons, especially from those who don �t have snow at all. I always wondered what is winter like there.

27 Jan 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Hi Sonn, in Bahrain, as i think in the whole Gulf winter is only couple of months, like from end of December to the beginning of Feb. And winter here is like Russian summer, the only nice and comfortable season in the year. All the other year is summer. When i worked at school, we had holidays in Feb, and they called them spring holidays. So most of the people here never seen snow and have very vague idea of seasons on the whole. It was quite a challenge to explain what seasons really mean))))) For instance in Russia rain and storms mean summer. Here it �s rainy only couple times and exclusively in winter.

27 Jan 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Sonn,
here it �s just the same dates as in ladybird �s  and pachy �s countries  but the order of seasons is :  summer, autumn, winter, spring. That is, it �s winter there now, while it �s summer here !
A hug.

27 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

The dates that ladybird gave correspond to the equinoxes and solstices that juliag reported for the US, just so that everyone will know that we in the US are the same as reported Germany, Spain, Portugal and Croatia.

The Russian system seems to be adapted from these astronomical dates for the convenience of having the seasons start on the first of a month.

Bruce

28 Jan 2010