Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Ideas needed!    

Ideas needed!

izulia
China

Ideas needed!

Dear teachers,
I am teaching 6-8 year olds and am looking for some exciting games and activities to teach personal pronouns and possessive adjectives (he-his, she-her, etc)? I would really appreciate some ideas!
Thank you,
Zulia

29 Jan 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

My sts usually get it easily when I use bag contents. I draw the following items or I even have them for real: e. g. a blue boy �s bag and a red girl �s bag (having a girl and boy next to them or dolls or fcs also helps), and their toys and school stuff (a Barbie doll, a rubber dinosaur, a hair brush, a toy truck, a notebook with a kittycat and one with a power ranger...you get the picture). Then I tell them about what usually happens when they go to school/kidergarten - she packs her Barbie doll in her bag, her winx pencil in her pencilcase.., and he packs his dinosaur in his bag and his transformer eraser in his pencilcase... and finally she puts on her roller skates and he sits on his bicycle. Then I make a mess of it and ask them to repeat the story with me. Then we pretend that one day they accidentally bumped into each other because they both overslept, and all their stuff fell out so they quickly put it into their bags, but when they got to school/kindergarten, their teachers were confused because she had his dinosaur in her bag, and he had her Barbie in his bag... You see where I �m going with this. Then we have to clean it all up and fix things. If you tell it in a funny way, they catch the he/she and his/her without even realizing it. Then in the end you want to check if you remember everything, so you put everything on your table or on the carpet with sts around and you pick up an object and say �This is his pencil, right? � and the kids correct you if you �re wrong, or say YES if you �re right. They love it when the teacher is confused. Next time you can ask them Who �s got the winx pencil? and they have to say he or she.

Hope this helps...
Anita

29 Jan 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Anita! I wish I were a little mouse and came into your lessons! I got really hung up on your story!! How lovely! Thanks!Thumbs Up

29 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Don �t you make me blush now! Thanks, Mariethe! Always nice to get a compliment. Frankly, I �m always surprised when I see how well that story works...
Nightie-night

29 Jan 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Anita, thanks so much for the idea. I �m gonna use it pretty soon. Truly priceless site, every day new ideas. Do you have the same story about object pronouns?

29 Jan 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Anita
You have already said nightie-night and I am just arriving.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea, I can imagine this will lead to some kind of big mess ( LOL ) but it will end up well. I love this kind of lesson, when we, teachers, put everything upside down and let the poor little ones to "clean" all the mess and say This is HIS / HER winx pencil.
Brilliant, I think pregnancy makes brilliant minds.
All my kisses to you
linda

30 Jan 2010     

izulia
China

Thank you Antia for your wonderful ideas! I agree with Mariethe, I would also be happy to stay around your classroom and watch you teach!  Hugs from Zulia :)

30 Jan 2010