Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NEXT YEAR TRAVEL TO ENGLAND    

NEXT YEAR TRAVEL TO ENGLAND

lovinglondon
Spain

Hi!!
Well, I �m just thinking so in advance because I need to arrange the travel very well. Let �s see...this is for next year. I would love to go with some students to England next year, however, I have no experience in those kind of trips. So, I have many doubts.
Can anyone who has arranged a trip of that type send me information such as...

- How do you travel? By train, by bus, by plane...?
- Where do you stay?? A hotel, a hostel...?
- How long do you stay?
- Where do you go? what area?
- When do you go? At the end of the course?
- How much (more or less) would it cost?
- Do you know any url I can visit to get more information or some places which arrange these kind of trips? Although I suppose that if I do, it will be cheaper.
- What kind of activities do you do once you are there?

I would be grateful if you could give me this information.  I repeat that this is for next year but I want to prepare everything beforehand!

THANK YOU!

30 Jan 2010      

chalco
France

Hi !
Let me just say I �m not an expert : I have just organized 2 trips from France to England with my students ... and participated in a few others.
First of all, I have to say we collaborate with a tour-operator (specialized in school trips) who deals with accomodation, books in the different visits and so on.

- We travel by bus (and we keep the same bus in France and England)
- We stay with host families (actually the kids stay in groups of 2, 3 or 4 in host families and so do the teachers)
- We usually stay for 4 days (which is very short)
- We generally go to the South of England (we come from the East of France ... so it �s a pretty long way from England !)
- We go some time between the end of March and mid-May.
- The cost depends on the distance, the choice of the visits and so on. In my school, we try to arrange a trip that would cost less than 400� for the students (accomodation-food-visits included).
- As for the activities once there, I try to work around a theme at school (like The Industrial Revolution, Mystery, Harry Potter, The Time-travelling machine, etc.) and therefore organize the activities in relation with the theme. (I could PM you some details if you are interested).

Hope it can help.
Chalco

30 Jan 2010     

juliag
Japan

Hi!

Never arranged a trip like that so can �t advise you on any of the finer details, but am at least British so thought I could maybe suggest a few places that would be interesting to go.

A lot of it will depend on the age of your students, but here are my initial thoughts:

I would imagine that staying in youth hostels or b&b �s will be cheaper than other options.

You will probably want to spend some time exploring London �s parks, art galleries, and museums. Possibly also markets.

The Cotswolds is a very popular tourist destination, with traditional stone cottages and beautiful gardens. Sure you can get afternoon tea and so on there, too.

Stonehenge is also a popular place to go I think, though I have never been myself.

The Lake District is also very beautiful and very popular, though it is up in the north of England, so might be too far for you to travel depending on how long you intend to stay.

Many of the churches/cathedrals have beautiful architecture and stained glass windows.

For a more modern scene and nightlife you would probably want to explore London or one of the other big cities, sorry not very up on that.

How about seeing a Shakespeare play in Stratford-on-Avon?

Or riding on a steam train? I know there is one running in Norfolk (where I come from) , but there may be some nearer to London, too.

Sorry that I can �t give you any practical advice, but I hope this will give you some idea of possible things to do at least.

This seems to be the official tourist info site for England which may be useful for you:

Good luck with planning the trip.
Julia

30 Jan 2010     

maikacaceres
Spain

This is our 7th year visiting London with Bachillerato students. I �m also a teacher in Spain so I can send you the details to your personal mail if you want.

30 Jan 2010     

niacouto
Portugal

Hi loving,

Hi!!

- How do you travel? By train, by bus, by plane...?- Always by plane.
- Where do you stay?? A hotel, a hostel...? Homestay.
- How long do you stay? For a week
- Where do you go? what area? Oxford (en route from the airport), Many museums (which are free now) and also Madame Tussaud �s, where you have to pay. Big Bus Tour, walking in City of Westminster, Changing of the Guard (pay attention because now it is not everyday), Covent Garden, Camdem Town, Windsor (en route to the airport), Picadilly area (Trocadero Centre), Oxford Street, Regent Street, ...
- When do you go? At the end of the course? Usually during Easter break.
- How much (more or less) would it cost? It depends on the number of students and their age and if you need a guide.
- Do you know any url I can visit to get more information or some places which arrange these kind of trips? Although I suppose that if I do, it will be cheaper. I always deal with the same agency, whose aims are educational (the owner is a teacher of English)
- What kind of activities do you do once you are there? (sightseeing, walking, watching, talking to the families (good to improve English), visiting museums, shopping, ...

30 Jan 2010