Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > COMPETENCY APPROACH IN THE ENGLISH CLASSROOM    

COMPETENCY APPROACH IN THE ENGLISH CLASSROOM

Mar0919
Mexico

COMPETENCY APPROACH IN THE ENGLISH CLASSROOM

Hi to ALL!!!!!!! In a few weeks I am to give a workshop to colleagues of different secondary schools on the topic of "COMPETENCIES" applied in English Teaching. Well, I know what this is about, I have a lot of theory, but I would really like to help all my colleagues with useful real-life ideas on HOW to really apply this approach in their classroom.
A lot has been said about all this approach already having been used by all of us since a long time ago, simply now it �s being called by a different name, and has been given a "new" sense in education.
Teachers have lots and lots of theory but can �t seem to really understand how to carry it out in their classrooms. I have gathered some ideas from friends, and I would like to ask for your generous contribution to my workshop. I would like real activities that each of us use, and to be able to breakdown how this approach is presented in these activities.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mar

1 Feb 2010      

elderberrywine
Germany

Maybe you could explain in more detail what you mean and what sort of contributions you are asking for? Give us a rough outline of your workshop so that we can see what fits?
Dorothea

1 Feb 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Edleverein. Thank you for responding. You see, the contributions I am talking about are IDEAS of what activities I can do with the teachers, and then present to them, how this certain activity fits with the Competency Approach. The problem with teachers in the town where I live is that they can maybe understand the theory, but don �t know HOW to carry it out. So they feel that it �s difficult to plan an activity based on this approach.
For example, one idea a friend gave me, was make sets of cards where they have to get up and collect different information from colleagues. Topic may be PERSONAL INFORMATION, they would have to ask about a person �s name, age, country, nationality, etc. Here, in this activity they would be developing competency to interview a person to gather personal information all the while they are practicing "to be", personal pronouns, professions, etc.
Don �t know if I �m making sense?

1 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

If I understand the competency approach correctly, it works in a similar way to the CEFR �Can do � statements, with specific learner goals - things they should be able to do. Perhaps you could emphasis how similar it is to what teachers normally do - they start their planning with what they want students to be able to do at the end of the lesson. Then they just have to break it down into the different areas in which they wish their students to be competent. As you said - it �s not a new theory, just different packaging.

For actual activities, role-plays are good to practise the language and skills for different situations - going to the bank, filling out a form. You could model a situation first and then elicit the target language/structures/skills and get them to practise - this also puts them in the role of students which will help them realise what is necessary.

The Longman Skills for life courses are pretty good in terms of materials - maybe they �d be of use to you?

http://www.pearsonlongman.com/uk-ireland/esol/worksheets/index.html

Hope this is in some way related to what you need!

2 Feb 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

lshorton99, thank you so much!!!! Very useful and great ideas!

Mar

2 Feb 2010