Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Translation of "rodeln"    

Translation of "rodeln"

silvia28
Italy

Translation of "rodeln"

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what is the best translation for the German "rodeln"? I found a few translations and am therefore unsure what is the best translation... sleighing, sledding, luging, sledging ... ??? I am looking for the "normal" sleighing, sledding, luging or sledging, not the professional one on ice.

I would really appreciate your answers for I am teaching winter sports to my students and don �t know which word is best... :-(

Thanks,
silvia

2 Feb 2010      

tahriali
Tunisia

Toboggan (sled) From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the northern side of North America a toboggan is a simple sled, that is a traditional form of transport used by the Innu and Cree of northern Canada. In modern times, it is used on snow to carry one or more people (often children) down a hill or other slope for recreation. Designs vary from simple, traditional models to modern engineered composites. A toboggan differs from most sleds or sleighs in that it has no runners or skis (or only low ones) on the underside. The bottom of a toboggan rides directly on the snow. Some parks include designated toboggan hills where ordinary sleds are not allowed and which may include toboggan runs similar to bobsleigh courses.

2 Feb 2010     

Mariethe House
France

The English coursebook I use talks about sledging... However after 20 years spent with an English husband and English family , they all used the word toboganning whenever we went doing this activity in the snow ! So, Is it a difference between English and American? Or is there a different word for the different types of sledge or toboggan? Let �s see what the natives have to say!

2 Feb 2010     

deeedee
Spain

I am American and I have never heard the word sledging used in reference to a snow-related activity.  We always went sledding.  Could it be a misprint in your coursebook?

2 Feb 2010     

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

Nope - it �s definitely sledging here in the UK!!

2 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Yup, Mariethe :)  we Canucks usually say "tobogganing"...or "sledding"... A toboggan has a flat bottom while the sled has a type of wooden or metal "slats" or runners for moving easier across the ice and snow.

And Deedee.. the Brits use sledges... which are in essence like the sleds that dog sledders use.   

2 Feb 2010     

conqueror_mko
Turkey

ı ve always used sledging so far ... but when ı searched it I came accross with the verb tobogan

2 Feb 2010     

deeedee
Spain

Learn something new every day.  Ok, so it �s sledging in the UK, but it �s still sledding in Virginia, at least...

2 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, here in the US, it �s definitely sledding. We find "sledge" in some old literary works, but it is definitely not currently used here.
Tobogganing is also popular here, but much less than sledding.

Bruce

2 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Although I personally like the enthusiastic.. "lets grab a piece of cardboard and go sliding down the nearest hill at break neck speed into a snowbank while hoping that we don �t kill ourselves!" LOL

3 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

On a piece of cardboard, you don �t even need snow!

3 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >