Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > JK Rowling: The fringe benefits of failure    

JK Rowling: The fringe benefits of failure

serennablack
Portugal

JK Rowling: The fringe benefits of failure

Hello everyone!!!Wink Today I received a link from a young learners list where I am a member, which made me want to share it with you. It �s the Commencement Address: �The Fringe Benefits of Failure, and the Importance of Imagination,� at the Annual Meeting of the Harvard Alumni Association made by J.K.Rowling, the famous Harry Potter´s creator.

I was so impressed by her message and honesty that I thought it would be great to share this with you and encourage you to share this with your students.

Here �s the link to the video: http://www.ted.com/talks/jk_rowling_the_fringe_benefits_of_failure.html

and the link to the actual commencement address:

http://harvardmagazine.com/commencement/the-fringe-benefits-failure-the-importance-imagination

For those of you who feel discouraged, I think this will definitely cheer you up.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks for you time! Big smile

2 Feb 2010      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Serena
Thanks, thanks a lot.
I quote
" If you choose to use your status and influence to raise your voice on behalf of those who have no voice; if you choose to identify not only with the powerful, but with the powerless; if you retain the ability to imagine yourself into the lives of those who do not have your advantages, then it will not only be your proud families who celebrate your existence, but thousands and millions of people whose reality you have helped change. We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better. "

That �s what we are for. We have the magic, we shall overcome.
Thanks
Linda

3 Feb 2010     

Kohaku
Japan

Thank you so much!!! I watched the entire clip and she was amazing. I love her ideals. 

3 Feb 2010     

ants
Switzerland

Really good video and very inspiring!!Thanks for sharing!!Hug

3 Feb 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

Thanks a lot for sharing. Awesome video :)

3 Feb 2010     

Nessie33
Germany

Thumbs Up Thanks!

3 Feb 2010     

niacouto
Portugal

Thank you for sharing with us. Wink
Really, really inspiring!

3 Feb 2010     

mmsilva
Portugal

Thank you! Such an inspiring video! It �s worth every minute!

3 Feb 2010     

LittleSunshine11
Germany

Thanks, it is such an honest, modest, powerful speech. really inspiring!

3 Feb 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Thank you so much! Was doing JKRowling �s biography this morning with a class of underachievers! Exactly what I needed to help them regain their self confidence!!  Thumbs Up

3 Feb 2010     

douglas
United States

Thanks!

I �m headed in to the classroom in about 20 minutes with the first of a series (3-4) of lessons I will give using this speech.

Good stuff for my advanced students!

Douglas

3 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >