Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HELP learning strategies for my students    

HELP learning strategies for my students

Missfrancisca
Spain

HELP learning strategies for my students

I need some tips, links, bibliography etc. to deal with learning strategies I have some students who have serious problems and I do not know how to give them advise I try some but I think they did dot work. Some of my students do not understand when they read texts or readers, others want to translate all the time.  Thanks in advance

7 Feb 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

There are lots of games to improve reading skills and have sts read actively, not just translate, but it would be very helpful to the teachers here if you told us their age and knowledge level.

7 Feb 2010     

Missfrancisca
Spain

they are teenagers and adults pre-intermediate level

7 Feb 2010     

aragoneses
Spain

I have the same problem, I don �t know how to help them. I have tried lots of things (word formation, synonymous and antonymous, and so on) but the results are not very good.
When they have to read or to write, they are unable to do it. Please if you find a solution, tell me, I would be very grateful.

7 Feb 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi!
I �m not sure this can help you ...Ermm But here �s a link to reading strategies & lesson plans :
I hope this can be useful...
Have a nice day,
Sylvie

7 Feb 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I use games to improve reading, lots of competitions, I misread on purpose and have them correct me, I prepare ppts of texts we listen to so that they aren �t focused on books so much, but the text itself, I do lots of listening with them but while they listen, they have to fill-in the gaps in the text or find mistakes or changes in the audio vs. written text. Performing plays with teenagers also helps, even more than just using speaking cards and conversation drills, because the fact that they perform in public makes them improve their pronunciation. Teenagers and adults usually already have shame installed in them, which prevents them from actually showing you how much they can do/read, and with teenagers you can still use their need to show their abilities by putting on plays. You have to be persistent - sometimes it may seem to you that they �re not making progress, but they actually do and use it in life situations, they �re just too shy to use it in class. If it �s a competition, a team game, a funny play or a humorous story you �re doing, they usually relax and perform better.

7 Feb 2010