Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > IDIOMS    

IDIOMS

carinita
Argentina

IDIOMS

Hello people
I want to unveil the mysteries of idioms LOL Last time I sat for a Language Test I had a hard time with them
1) Can you tell me any idiom that could convey �chosen as a victim (or victims) �? (It was in the exam)
2) Can �pick out � mean �began to recognize �? (I know it�s not an idiom; it was also in the test)
Thank you!!

7 Feb 2010      

carinaluc
Argentina

Dear Namesake,

One of the meanings of  "pick out" is to recognize, find or make a choice among items in a group; for example:
Can you pick out the three grammar mistakes in this paragraph?
We picked our grandparents out quite easily in the old photos.

As for the idiom you �re looking for, it �d be great if you could provide the context in which it appeared.  Was it perhaps a paraphrasing activity?  Can you remember the whole sentence?

Hugs

Carina

7 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

maybe .. a sitting duck? 

He was a sitting duck (he was an easy target or victim).  But like Carina said, can you provide the context.

There are few idioms with �victim � in them: fashion victim, fall victim to, victim of circumstance,  ... �

Cheers - Jayho

8 Feb 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Pull someone �s leg?

8 Feb 2010     

Vivi Quir
Argentina

are you sure you were asked for an idiom? Perhaps they aimed at "pick on somebody"

8 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

Thrown to the wolves is the idiom I would use.

8 Feb 2010     

carinita
Argentina

It was a paraphrasing activity. I can �t provide the whole sentence I only jotted down some parts while I was sitting for the exam It isn �t allowed to keep the exam sheet
Thanks for the answers!

8 Feb 2010