Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > use of the article    

use of the article

Aldegunde
Spain

use of the article

Hi everybody!

I need your help about whether or not the article can be used in when talking about school, hospital,prison church as working places: the nurse works at hospital or at the hospital, the teacher works at school or at the school. Thanks in advance for your help.

11 Feb 2010      

yanogator
United States

I think British and US customs are different here. I can only tell you how it works here in the US.

We use at school, without the article, when the sentence is about the institution, not the building, or if you are there for the business of the place, rather than just as a location.
She is at school now, so you can call her there.
She went to the school last night to pick up some papers she had left there.

I learned many things in school today.
I saw many people at the school as I drove by.

In the US, we treat hospital differently. We always use an article with it.
I work in a hospital. (We could say "at", but "in" is more common with hospital)
I was in the hospital for three days after my surgery.

I hope this helps, and I hope someone provides the British rules for this.

Bruce

11 Feb 2010     

Aldegunde
Spain

Thanks for your explanation"yanogator" . I knew that the article is omitted in "study at school" "be in prison" "be sent to hospital" (BE), but I was not sure if it was the same with work in/at (the).  

11 Feb 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

I believe using articles depends on context.  Please correct me if I �m wrong.
You can say

The nurse works at the hospital (specific hospital -- both listener and speaker know wich hospital)

A nurse works in a hospital (stating the obvious...right?)

You need an article in this sentece.  You don �t need an article when you are speaking about school.

I go to university.
I go to school everyday.
We always have fun in class.

However, sometimes you can specify.

I go to the university of Michigan.

When you say someone is at hospital it means they are sick and therefore staying there. 

My father is at hospital. He �s been very ill. (I also think that this is British English, in American English you would say: My father is in the hospital.  He �s been very sick.)

Native speakers please!!! Help!!! Man good question!!!

11 Feb 2010     

mariby22
United States

hospital, prison. school - there is one and the same rule they abide by

In hospital = sick e.g. Mike is in hospital now, hope he get better
at hospital = visiting  e.g. I �ve been at the hospital visiting my grandpa

in prison = for a crime
at prison = visiting the building

in school = studying
at school = visiting the building

11 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Mariby22, I �ve never heard anyone in the US say "in hospital." Here in the Midwest, at least, a person is "in the hospital" when he or she is sick. I �ve always considered "in hospital" (without "the") to be strictly British usage. What part of the country are you in that they say "in hospital"? This interests me very much.

Thanks,
Bruce

12 Feb 2010     

mizutamari
United States

Basically it depends on whether the speaker and the listener share common information or not.

I work in a hospital.  (This could be any hospital; it is assumed to be new information that is not shared by the speaker or listener.)

I work at the hospital.  (It is assumed the listener understands which hospital the speaker is talking about; i.e. the speaker and listener share a common knowledge, and it is not new information between the parties.)

I go to university.
I go to school everyday.
We always have fun in class.

I find these to be very neutral ways of speaking.  You are just talking about general information, which may or may not be commonly shared information with the listener.  However, at least in the U.S. (or in the South where I was raised), you always need a particle when talking about hospitals.

23 Feb 2010