Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Eliciting a question:    

Eliciting a question:

annabelle1654
Germany

Eliciting a question:

I am trying to get my students to understand the function, of offering. At least I think it �s offering.

"Would you like for her to call you back?" is the question and I �m trying to set up a situation and check that students understand the question.

Scene: Someone is answer the phone..and...

Checking understanding, "How does the caller ....   (WHAT should I ask the students that will help them understand the function and when we use it.)

Thanks in advance,
Annabelle

12 Feb 2010      

yanogator
United States

I would call is "suggesting". "Offering" is also good, since it seems that your situation is for someone to do something for the person being addressed. In your example, I see it as the person who answers the phone who needs to make the suggestion. In the scene, someone answers the phone, and the caller asks for Annabelle. The person answering says, "I �m sorry, but she �s not home at the moment. Would you like (for) her to call you back?" To complete your "checking understanding" question, I might say to the students, "What action can the person who answered the phone offer/suggest to the caller?"

Here are other situations I thought of:

When shopping, the sales clerk might suggest, "Would you like (for) me to show you some shirts?"

At the gas station, the attendant (before we went to all self-serve) might ask, "Would you like me to check the tires?" or "Do you want me to check the tires?"

In class, the teacher can ask, "Would you like me to show you another example of this?"

I hope this is what you need.
Bruce

12 Feb 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

When I teach "would you like...?" I use artificial fruit, veggie, food, drinks... (toys)
Would you like an apple? Yes, please / No, thank you. / No, thanks. I am full.
Would you like some lemonade?
Would you like something to drink?
Would you like a (quantity) cup of / piece of / slice of .... tea / cake / pizza...

Pre-intermediate students should understand more complex examples:
Would you like to go to the cinema - theatre - park...?
Would you like to join us?
Would you like to play the cards?
Would you like to read it aloud?
Would you like to try it on?

What would you like to do now? - play - watch - see - talk about - sing -
What would you like to drink - tea or coffee?
Where would you like to go now?  (eat, see, finish, buy...)

to read more examples, please type "would you like" into the searchbox http://www.americancorpus.org/

13 Feb 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

What would you like me to call you?
What would you like me to do?
What would you like me to fix?

Would you like me to help you with your bag?
Would you like me to fix you a cup of tea?
Would you like me to wake you at a particular time?
Would you like me to come back later?
-- The speaker is trying to "persuade" the listener to answer "yes"...
sort of persuasive questions...

13 Feb 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Would you like him to join us?
Would you like him to see this?

13 Feb 2010