Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What exactly can I take from other internet sites?    

What exactly can I take from other internet sites?

dturner
Canada

What exactly can I take from other internet sites?

Perhaps I misunderstood the rules and I �d like to clarify (just like we teachers ask our students....)  May I find an image of a person whom I would like to use in a WS that I �ve found on the internet?  That is to say, if I want to  write a story on say Nelson Mandela and would like to include a photo of him in the document, am I allowed to find one on a website and include it in my document?  I read the rules that I cannot copy any other people �s work, and that �s pretty obvious, but what I �m confused about is can I copy an image from a site and include it in my document, which is solely my work.  On eslprintables, there seems to be lots of images that have been copied from various sites, the most obvious ones lately have been images of athletes on the various news and Olympic sites.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

14 Feb 2010      

JulietaVL
Mexico

No problem at all if you take pictures from the Internet... we all do that

14 Feb 2010     

stexstme
France

LOLSpeak for yourself, lovely Juliet! I personally draw my photos!Approve
Dear dturner,
You can use stuff from sites or books, but add your personal work. Eg, some members here upload reading papers - with texts they obviously did not write, but they use them for reading comprehension activities ( questions, grammar or voc exs...etc) I think the best way to do it is to write the source on the ws...Just my opinion..
Have a nice day!
Sylvie

14 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

lol Sylvie...

btw, good point  =)

14 Feb 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
it depends on the pictures.
most of the time, I find my pictures using google images, and it �s fine. but for example some images have copyrights - just like our ws here. so it means that if you use them in your ws, you �d better inform the author that you �ll use it in a ws that will be published here. otherwise it might be considered as stealing.
there �s a great website www.mes-english.com, where all the images have copyrights; that means you can use them in class, but you can �t use them in your ws!

otherwise, let �s say you �re working on Nelson Mandela, you can put a picture of him on your ws, that �s fine, but be careful if you put a painting of him, some have copyrights.

the best way to know what is allowed or not is to look carefully if you find a website with many cliparts, because usually authors put copyrights on their cliparts so they �re not published anywhere else... and it �s quite easy to understand why: drawing a clipart must take a long time, so you would not want to do all that work and they find it published in books without being rewarded for your work.
I �ve personnally contacted a couple of authors of cliparts, and they all said that I could use their cliparts in my ws as long as I wasn �t going to sell my ws!!! but to be on the safe side, better ask than be sorry!!!
if you have more questions, send me a PM, i �m not a moderator but i can always help!!!
Elodie

14 Feb 2010     

dennismychina
China

Hi,
The following quote is some sort of joke, right?
"speak for yourself, lovely Juliet! I personally draw my photos".

14 Feb 2010     

stexstme
France

I thought I was being funny ....Cry
(@Dennis : Do not read my �happy Chinese new Year post�, right ? )Clown

14 Feb 2010     

FroggyClaudine
France

You were being funny, especially if we consider you put a smiley just before your joke !!!!
@ dturner,
Except if you �re really gifted - which is definitively not my case - you cannot draw everything so I think that taking pictures on the net is ok if you don �t take those wiht crosses on them with the name of the maker. When I find one like this in the ws I download, I always change them.
It is just an opinion among others.

14 Feb 2010     

dturner
Canada

Thanks.  I think I �ve got it.  dt

15 Feb 2010