Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Gifted pupils- I need ideas    

Gifted pupils- I need ideas

a isabel
Portugal

Gifted pupils- I need ideas

Gifted pupils- Any project ideas?

Good morning dear colleagues!

Two days ago I asked this question, but I still need your advice... So I repeat it.

I have a 16 year old boy (6 years of English)who has been identified as a gifted person since he was a child.In fact, written tests which his classmates need 90 minutes to finish,  he just needs half an hour.  We have been told that we should ask him to make a project within our subject-matters so that he can feel a higher challenge and more motivated.
Although I always have more challenges for him (thanks to this GREAT site), I would be most grateful if you could give me more ideas - what type of project... how to evaluate this extra work - if his colleagues will not do??!!!  Has any one some materials/resources for these special people?  Does anyone know about a special site - related to English and gifted pupils?
Thanks a lot for your help!

14 Feb 2010      

stexstme
France

Ideas, please : I NEED gifted pupils!!ErmmLOL
Hi Isabel,
I do not teach gifted pupils Unhappy ... but I have quite a lot of British or American students - who easily get bored in my English classes!LOL So, I often have them work �on their own �, esp  webquests, or give them advanced papers...( they �re only 14 y.O) I "use" them A LOT for oral activities, of course!, but they love projects about music, or their favourite hobbies, etc..We use lots of sites ( like Starfall) & they do researches about English-speaking countries for ex...
I �m afraid this might not help you - but if you google �English webquests � you �ll find lots of ideas! Let us hope you �ll get more help!
Have a nice Sunday,
Sylvie

14 Feb 2010     

abba
Spain

I have never had a gifted student but I have had American pupils or teenagers who have had private teachers since they were very young, then they have a very good level. What I usually do is giving them extra material but on the topic we are dealing with, i.e. if we are studying the past simple they also work the past simple but at a higher level. I give them extra worsheets and the correction, and they have to correct themselves and at the end of the lesson they show it to me, and ask me any doubts. The same happens with the listenings, their listening exercises are alo different, they listen them individuaaly with the headphones and they correct them themselves. The books they read are also of a higher level than the ones of their classmates. Of course, the end-of-term exams are also different. It �s a lot of work for the teacher but at least it works. I hope it helps.
Have a nice day.

14 Feb 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Isabel,
I guess a lot depends on what he �s interested in. I had a 16-year-old student who, from the age of 14-16 had written a regular book in English (all by himself, sort of a modern mix between A Catcher in the Rye and Sex & the City from a guy �s points of view - fantastic and funny, btw) and that was enough for him - he wrote it and brought me chapters to correct for him. I had him placed in the FCE group and he ended up taking CAE instead and aced it. I love those international exams which really motivate sts such as these kids and provide them with a real certificate and motivation, and even scolarship opportunities. What I �d try to figure out, if I were you, is his field of interest. If he �s a literary type, you can have him write his own works or translate a chosen book to or from English. IF he likes movies, you can have him write scripts or reviews. If he �s the linguistic type, you can have him explore phonetics, or the history of the English language (its development and expansion). If he �s the teacher type, you can have him prepare tests or word games (I also had a st like that). The technicalities of the method are not important - computer, webquests, encyclopaedias, whatever... He might even find a way to interview some people via skype. I had a boy write and read a lot about design, especially car desing, because he wanted to do that when he was 14 and now he �s studying to be that.

14 Feb 2010     

a isabel
Portugal

Thanks a lot for so many useful suggestions! I sent you a private message!
Have a nice week!
Hugs from Madeira Island
(also windy and rainy)

14 Feb 2010