Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > About reading exercises    

About reading exercises

JulietaVL
Mexico

About reading exercises

Just to make things clear... I just saw a post of Victor in the reported contributions where he says that readings without activities ARE allowed as long as they are original contributions.

=)

This will avoid that we delete contributions just becasue they do not contain a task as we �ve been doing it in the past.

14 Feb 2010      

zailda
Brazil

Texts without a task are only allowed if they are written by the member. If a person copies a text from a book or site and uploads it here, it �s a copy and has to be deleted. If the person adds his own work it is allowed.

14 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

You are right Zailda

That is exactly what I meant

14 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Julieta, if there �s a "description" under the worksheet and no ws is uploaded without it, it means it �s to be filled with IMPORTANT information.

If the text is written by the member, he should write: "I wrote this text to..." and everyone who sees will be aware that he is the author and if a blind person reports it, moderators will check and will see it �s his creation. So we �ll vote against the removal. (Another useful feature: the comment pannel under each reported worksheet, to be filled with your POV about the worksheet and to give the others additional information, and not to tell the others what they have to do when voting, or to question the way they vote)

If the text is taken from the net or a book, he should write: "This text is taken from... (provide the source) and I created some exercises to go along it (describe the type of exercises), and so on...

We ask our students to read the directions before answering the questions, and to fill out all of them, but it seems we don �t do what we tell them to. Each space provided is important, and if a person doesn �t do it, he is the only person to be blamed in case of a mistake caused by lack of information.

You know, any member with 10 points is able to report a worksheet, so we have to provide all the information we can about our work. If we don �t know much about our own work, maybe no one can be charged if he doubts it �s our own work...

14 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Zailda

We, teachers are like students, we behave like them in many ways, this is an example: not everybody thinks as you think, not everybody finds the description of his / her worksheet as something important

I agree, we SHOULD.... SHOULD, not MUST write a clear description of our worksheets in order to avoid this kind of problems but... what if I did not want to? Should I be punished for that?

You say it is the member �s fault that his / her worksheet be removed because he did not write in the description " This text is written by me"... wow!.

I think it is moderator �s fault to vote for the removal of a worksheet without being sure it is a copy or not.

ALL I am asking here Zailda is that we, moderators should NOT vote for the removal of a worksheet because it does not contain a task, and I am also asking not to vote for the removal of a worksheet if a link is NOT provided... as simple as that

14 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Students who think the directions are not important or don �t want to "waste" their time reading them are punished with bad grades. Why should we be different?

It �s up to you to provide the info about your ws, if you don�t want to and it �s reported or removed it �ll be your fault. Of course I agree that we should check before voting. But following your reasoning, what if they don �t want to? Should they be punished?

Why should we make it easier if we can make things even more difficult?

14 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Oh Zailda...

Ok guys, members from this site, according to Zailda from now on "YOU WILL BE PUNISHED IF YOUR WORKSHEET DOES NOT CONTAIN A CLEAR DESCRIPTION" even though the site �s owner does not say that, ok???

And those moderators who will vote for the removal without checking do not worry, why would you? you are doing an excellent job.

14 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I like the way you distorted my words. And the way you used them to get the members against me is even better.

Everyone who is able to read English will see that those are your words, not mine.

14 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

I think it �s a moderators duty to check all sources and not rely on heresy. That �s why a LINK should always be provided when reporting. We have a great responsibility and it �s not for us to decide if a worksheet needs a better description or not. We should download the worksheet and consider it �s contents only.

It �s very easy to hit the button and then blame the creator for our irresponsibility.

14 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

And I like the way you seem not to understand and think you are always right... my point was super clear since the beggining, I really do not understand why you started saying all that stuff but well... it is ok

14 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I just suggested the members used the description to make sure no one will report it. If you don �t want, no problem for me. I used "should" because it �s a suggestion. Is the forum open to give suggestions to avoid problems? So you can understand why I started telling all this stuff. Isn �t allowed to give suggestions on the forum? No problem for me either.

14 Feb 2010     

1    2    3    4    Next >