Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > :)    

:)

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Try puppets! Kids love puppets!
 agree with you that teaching  ESL Young Kids is challenging and very exciting.
I posted some tips and links  here. Hope that they can be of some use for you!

Greetings,

15 Feb 2010     

izulia
China

Dear adw2c,

Just read you post and I too hope you are already feeling a bit better after reading advice from other teachers. What a wonderful community of teachers we have here on eslprintables!

Have you got a selection of story books at your school? I use stories with my 5-6 year old students and they love them. They ask for their favourite stories to be read again and again. Here are the things that I do after reading a story:
1. Sts draw their favourite part of the story.
2. I photocopy pages with main characters and enlarge them. SS colour them in, then I laminate them and attach to sticks. (If it �s difficult to laminate or photocopy, just ask your SS to draw the characters on card.) With the character puppets in hands they act out some parts of the story. You could also make just one main character puppet and then use it to talk to youe SS. They can ask you questions or answer your questions related to the story.
3. If possible some art and craft follow up work works really well with young SS.
4. I use PPTs with my 5-7 yr olds and they love them too. This weekend I was enjoying making a PPT based on the well-known �We �re Going on a Bear Hunt � story. I would love to email it to you or any member of eslprinatbles. It �s too big to upload here.

Hope these ideas are at least of some help. Don �t get discouraged. You should be proud of yourself, as you are managing to teach in such difficult conditions.

Best of luck and lots of hugs from China :-)

15 Feb 2010     

Missfrancisca
Spain

I cannot give you better links that the ones provided, only to tell you to cheer up,keep firm and try to do your best that I am sure yo do and get focused on your work , do not pay much attention to a person who sends you an e-mail to tell you about your work. With reference to help, I never had any help with my lessons either, neither of my collegues nor bosses, now I feel happy here because whenever I ask for something there is someone who  try to answer me, what makes me really happy as I suppose you feel now. Best wishes.

15 Feb 2010     

kate0611
Korea, South

Sorry to hear about your situation, it does happen to many EFL teachers.
 When I was teaching  young students the thing that was really important was having a routine.  I started the class with greetings and then went into songs. For new songs I would spend a few minutes doing vocabulary flash cards first but I usually tried to include them in the previous lesson. 
One of the  easiest songs to teach is "Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes".  It has a limited number of vocabulary words, the actions are easy and the kids enjoy it.  Once they can sing it well, then I sing with them it at different speeds doing the actions.  They always laugh when we do it as fast as possible.
Another song that the kids love is "5 Little Monkeys" .  The words are a little more difficult but I found that the kindergarten kids loved it because of the tune and the actions.  I really exaggerated getting hit on the head and falling on the floor.  It took quite a few classes for them to learn the song but they kept asking for it even when they didn �t know the words. You should be able to find both of these songs and others on Youtube.  The thing to remember is that kids like doing actions to a catchy tune.
After songs I would do flash cards and stories.  As an example when I read "The Three Little Pigs"  I made up flash cards and read the story.  I did rewrite the story on A4 paper to make the story really simple.  I used many of the same pictures I used for the flash cards. I put the paper in a binder and read it to the students like a story book.  It did take a lot of work but the kids loved the story and asked for it several times.  You have to be really dramatic when telling stories. 
After stories, I would do some alphabet/phonics/vocabulary exercises. You can also do vocabulary prep for new songs here. I  did review flash cards here as well. For older kids, I would  get them to do some written alphabet/phonics/first words exercises. I am sure you can find some exercises here and on the internet.  I got a lot of alphabet forms and first words forms from boggles ESL world on the internet.
I would finish the class with a game like "duck duck goose game"- you can find it on Youtube.  The kids only need to learn 2 words to play this game and they love playing it.
This seems pretty simplistic but I found that following the same routine for every class was really important.  Hope this gives you some ideas. -Kate

15 Feb 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hello again!  Try this link : 

16 Feb 2010     

mariby22
United States

Hi, I am teaching to 1st year and 2nd year kids in Belarus ( 6-7-8 year-olds)
We have a nice course set for these ages, called Magic Box. It consists of the Teacher �s Book, Students � Textbook, Students � Reader(for the 2nd year), Workbooks, and a CD. The Teacher �s book has very detailed instructions to each lesson, the appropriate games, songs etc etc. a Very nice set. The cost of the set for the 2nd year,including the CD, is approx 30 USD. Of course, the items may be purchased separately. If you are really desperate for the course material for the little ones, we can make arrangements and I can send it to you
My e-mail: [email protected]

16 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2