Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > UNIVERSAL follow up tasks to READINGS    

UNIVERSAL follow up tasks to READINGS

moravc
Czech Republic

UNIVERSAL follow up tasks to READINGS

CAN WE please SHARE a list of OUR FAVOURITE "universal" tasks to go with ANY reading text?
Let �s play with words:
Find 10 adjectives and write their antonyms or synonyms
Find 5 irregular verbs and write sentences in past simple / present perfect / passive
Write 10 key words from the story and their definitions and let your partner guess
Make a spider diagram of some words used in the text.
Write words with one semantic root - act - action - active - actively
Writing tasks:
Write a summary in 4-10 short sentences.
Imagine a story with the same title.
Imagine a sequel to the story.
Question tasks:
Write 5 questions to the story. Answer your partner �s questions.
What is the text about? Do you like it?
What is the text type - newspaper article, short-story, letter, (in)formal email,  description, diary, note...?
What would your title of the text be?
Speaking tasks:
Work in pairs and re-tell the text. You can say only one sentence at a time and your partner continues.
Think about one "secret magic word" from the text and say a word connected to the magic word. Your partner will guess... Eg: Day is the magic word. You say: sun. S2: Is is a noun? You nod. S2: Is is heat? Don�t nod.

CAN YOU THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE? WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE TASKS?

15 Feb 2010      

SueThom
United States

What a great list!  OK, here are my additions:

Choose 1 sentence that ___ and share it with a small group of classmates.  (a sentence that is beautiful, interesting, surprising, contains the main idea, the student didn �t understand, the student agrees/disagrees with, etc.)

Write a paragraph or two about what happened before or after this story, using the same characters.

15 Feb 2010     

Missfrancisca
Spain

HERE ARE MY ADDITIONS MORAVC, I LOVE  YOURS

CLOZE TYPE: TAKE OUT SOME WORDS, EASY ONES TO RECOGNIZE FROM THE TEXT AND ASK THEM TO PLACE THEM BACK
SET THE TEXTS JUMBLED AND TELL THEM TO UNJUMBLE IT.

TAKE OUT SOME SENTENCES FROM THE TEXTS AND TELL THEM TO PLACE THEM IN THE CORRECT PLACE

FOR A NARRATIVE TEXT: DIVIDE THE TEXTS INTO TWO OR MORE PARTS , SIT THEM IN PAIRS OR GROUPS AND THEY HAVE TO RETELL THE  STORY.

THOSE ARE TYPE PET OR FCE

15 Feb 2010     

marta_marta
Poland

Hello,

I often think of a topic/statement that is closely related to the text. It must be something students can agree or disagree with. I divide students into two groups - A and B. If you a have big group you may have more groups. Group A agrees with the statement and B disagrees. They are given some time to work with the text or just to brainstorm ideas. They should make some notes. When they are ready, we have a class discussion. You may have another group which could be a jury. Their task would be to listen carefully, make notes and dicide whether group A or B is right. It works really well with my students.

Another idea is the game called Jeopardy. Students are to write questions and answers about the text you are working on. The numer of questions depends on the text. When they have finished, ask them to work in pairs. They say the answers only, their partners have to create an appropriate question. To finish off pairs could report which questions they think were the most interesting.

I hope you find the ideas useful.

15 Feb 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

BIG THANKS TO ALL!

15 Feb 2010