Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Interactive Classroom Factors ( Help)    

Interactive Classroom Factors ( Help)

Nebal
Lebanon

Interactive Classroom Factors ( Help)

Hello wonderful collegues,

I �m working on the  topic " How Can Interactive Classrooms Help Language Development?"
Well, I need your ideas about the:

1- factors that help maintain/create interactive classrooms
2- Reasons for lack of interaction in the classroom
3- the way interaction develops language acquisition

All ideas and links are welcomed appreciated.
Count on You!!
Have a great day,
Nebal

16 Feb 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Hi, dear! I see you �re still busy with your studies. I just have one question which is a bit unclear to me, maybe because of the way many teachers use the term  �interactive classrooms � in my country. When you talk about interaction, do you mean the basic interaction between teachers and sts, or do you mean �interactive � as in using technology, online learning etc. Sorry if my question seems silly, it may just be a linguistic glitch in my head. If you mean �interaction � as communication (not just technology), then here are some of my opinions (I �m sure others will join in soon)...
1- factors that help maintain/create interactive classrooms - the fact that interaction is communication in its basis, and language serves as tools of communication, I believe that without teacher-students interaction, a lesson cannot even be called a lesson. It is in our nature to want to communicate. To motivate the communication and keep it going, one has to carefully choose the topics and teaching methods have to be interesting and current - it is easier and more effective to interact when one has to communicate about topics of interest, suitable for the knowledge level, interests and age of sts; and the choice of attractive teaching materials and methods helps keep up the interest.
2- Reasons for lack of interaction in the classroom - the lack of properly choosing the subject, teaching materials and methods causes loss of interest and therefore lack of interaction. To speak plainly, a boring teacher or a dominant teacher both prevent interaction. Stubbornly pressing topics which are uninteresting, not suitable for the sts � age and knowledge level, as well as interests, will soon stop the flow of conversation. There are many factors which have to be taken into consideration - e. g. at preschool level children aren �t encumbered by shame, but one has to be aware of their limited amount of knowledge, both of the world as of the language, so vocabulary has to be limited to animals, food, toys, etc. whereas linguistic patterns can only be the ones used all the time (please, sit down, clap your hands...) or patterns from rhymes; at teenage level one has to be aware of their interests (balance between fun and everyday life problems they go through), their shame and fear or failure (they are beginning to be ashamed of making mistakes because of peer pressure, so they close off), yet still need to flaunt their knowledge in public (where plays or projects can fill this need); whereas at adult level advanced learners sometimes tend to be too confident (so you must balance your need to correct them and their need to show what they know) and elementary learners lack motivation overall (they usually study because they HAVE to, for work purposes, and are very encumbered by shame at not having more knowledge at their disposal).
3- the way interaction develops language acquisition - this is one of the most natural processes in all human activities. It �s proportional - the more you interact/communicate, the more you are able to and you acquire more vocab span and skills. It �s in human nature - interaction works both ways; the more we communicate, the more we know about each other (when teachers listen to sts, they learn a lot about their skills, lack of those, and interests, which helps teachers create more useful lessons; sts who listen to teachers acquire more vocab and linguistic skills in turn). Practice makes perfect - regular interaction is alsmot like language fitness - it keeps one in shape.

There, my wisdom for tonight, if it did any good...
PS: Pls, somebody join in, to move my post from the forum, because I�ve just realised it�s a bit too long... sorryConfused

16 Feb 2010     

Mouna mch
Algeria

hi there..

it seems that you are dealing with CLT communicative language teaching ...

in this method interaction is essential betwwen:

T S : teacher student

S S: student student (pair work)

SS : students(group work)

that is to say individual tasks are no more in!!!

in this method and inorder to have interactive classroom atmpsphere your PPP(presentation_ practice_produce) sholud be real life like if not authantic which is not always available..

to increase interaction you have to avoid teacher centered lessons.. you must be a co_learner and lessons should be learner centered..eg in grammar lesson,lets say can and ccould to make polite requests, you inthe presentation provid a dialougue that contains a situation that looks like real life if not real one where people use both can and could to make requests.. here when you ask your learners to notice and deduce the grammar rulrs themselves it is a TS interactio..eg
T: what does the man want?  S: he needs a pen..
T:what did he use to ask for apen?    S: could you..
T: what about case two?
T/ why did he use can this time?....

the more meaningful..ie makes your learners think..your activities are the more interactiion you will get..

in Practice try to give activities  that are based on role playing so you can get S  S interaction, or group work so to get SS one!!

in produce create situations  which is a key word in this method of teaching ..
eg:
your friend and you are in the restaurant(not that your PPP should have the same topic)
the waiter came to take your order..build up a dialouge in which you make polite requests both formal and informal.. here you will get  a SS interaction..

hope i was useful!!

16 Feb 2010