Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help me, please!!    

Help me, please!!

szamoca
Hungary

Help me, please!!

Dear Colleagues,
I found this in one of the printables:

J:And you finally managed to convince them, right?
S:Not only after I ....................(beg) for some time!

In the second sentence I would use Past Perfect Continuous: had been begging for some time

The exercise suggests  Past Perfect Simple. What do you think ? Please answer quickly!
Thank you!Have a nice day!

17 Feb 2010      

sandra46
United Arab Emirates

I would say that "had begged" was more suitable.

Sandra 46

17 Feb 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

I would also say had begged, because it happend before they got convinced, 

17 Feb 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

The "Not" is confusing for me.

Only after I begged them for some time! or "had begged".

17 Feb 2010     

szamoca
Hungary

Thank you so much for all of you.

17 Feb 2010     

aysentanrikulu
Turkey

I agree with saraa mariam. begging happened before convincing. so it is the first situation and must be in past perfect.

17 Feb 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

The NOT should not be there at all.

My first thought was �begged �. Had begged is surely correct as well and had been begging acceptable (although I �d never use it that way).

17 Feb 2010     

mkosior
Poland

szamoca - you are asking if it should be Pats Perfect or Past Perfect Continuous.

Because of "for some time" I would also use PPCont.

Can a native give us a hand here? :)

And I do not believe there is anything wrong with the "not" at the beginning of the answer.

17 Feb 2010     

szamoca
Hungary

Yes mkosior. I felt that PPC would be better but of course it should be PPS. I personally haven �t got problems with �not �.  The word �for � can really be confusing here that is why I thought using PPC.The word �after � goes with PPS.
Of course if you have some other comments I �m happy to learn.
Thanks for your comments.You really helped me.

17 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

"Not only" is definitely wrong here. I would say either "Only after... " or "But only after..."

Had begged is the best answer gramatically, but the simple past "begged" sounds very natural, too.

Correction to my previous sentence:
I misread the sentence at first, and thought that the speaker was begging to be given some time to do something. Now that I have correctly interpreted it, "had been begging" is the best answer, because the emphasis is on the process (which is what the continuous tenses are about) rather than the result (which is what the simple perfect tenses are about).

18 Feb 2010