Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Mac Vs PC    

Mac Vs PC

annelaure
France

Mac Vs PC

It is very hard when using a Mac to be able to upload your work, it �s a shame really, I have dozens of worksheet I could share, and even if I transform them into a pdf and then again into a word document, it �s still too "heavy" to upload.... Arrghh!! it �s quite frustrating really! Nevermind I �ll never change my Mac for a PC again, so I guess that �s a never ending story.

24 Feb 2010      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Im a mac user and have never had a problem.

24 Feb 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Annelaura

I guess it is not because of your Mac, Macs are really reliable. It must be something else. Just make your work in Word. doc, and try again.
linda

24 Feb 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Software compatibility is just one of the many problems with a Mac.
They are a fine example of good marketing, the only people who have any need to buy one are people who need certain programs that only run on the mac, and these people are professional video editors.
With Macbook you pay for example 1000 euro for the same hardware as would cost you 500 euro at Dell or Acer, 600 euro at HP.
For 1000 euro at Dell you can get all the new Intel "i" processors and a TB of space, the same thing would cost you about 2000 to 2500 with a mac book pro.

If you like that you don �t get viruses on a mac then try Linux, (most varieties of which are free and open source) if you like the way mac OSX looks you can customize make Linux look identical. 
If you like the way the Macs look externally then go ahead and buy one. But that �s the only thing special about them, and it �s the only reason I can see that people pay such a high price for them, because everything else about them is inferior.

I �m pretty bias against them because my cousin had one which caught fire (While turned off but plugged in!) and could have killed him, and because everyone I know who has one for longer than 3 years has had major problems with it, hardware wise. The OS is fine appart from computability issues, and Ubuntu is a better OS plus its free.

But anyway to each there own, if you have loads of money and you like Macs then get a Mac!

24 Feb 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

My old mac laptop just died after ten years without any problems whatsoever, no software problems, no viruses, I dropped it on the floor once and nothing happened.  I have a desktop PC and much prefer using a Mac-

24 Feb 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I use Microsoft Word for Mac for �normal � Mac operations requiring Word, but if I have to use the Windows interface, I go into Boot Camp (which comes with Mac OS X 10.5) or, better still, use Parallels Desktop which allows for easier switching between platforms. Remember to save as a Word 97-2003 document (it has the .doc extension).

Nice to know you won �t give up on the Mac. I �ve never had a problem with Macs and I �ve been using them since the late 80 �s. It seems to be only non-Mac users who have problems with it.

Alex

By the way, Rabbit, she �s got a Mac already.

24 Feb 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Almaz, I thought she said she wanted to buy a PC... and Macs were great in the 80s! It �s only recently they �ve started robbing people blind and overcharging for old technology you can get half the price anywhere else. Really you �re paying for the OS and the plastic casing, that �s the only difference between an Intel Mac and any other computer, and I don �t like either of those two things so no I won �t pay twice the price for them.

Of course non Mac users have a problem with Mac, that �s why we don �t use it! Obviously!

BTW a Mac is a PC Tongue

Anyway if your word processor isn�t working try openoffice:

www.openoffice.org
all the bells and whistles of Microsoft word, compatible with it, makes .doc, and it�s free!

24 Feb 2010     

alien boy
Japan

aesthetics aren �t easy to quantify... Wink

24 Feb 2010     

Blumette
France

I �ve got a Mac and no problem to download....

24 Feb 2010     

annelaure
France

Ok, I haven �t been really clear on that one, by using a Mac I meant using the "I work" program on it, the equivalent of word, and yes, rabbit, it is really much better and easier to use as any PC programs I �ve used before, the only problem is I can �t really transform it into a word document, the only thing I can do is to transform it into a Pdf document, and they �re usually to heavy to upload.
Anyway, I �m not rich and I didn �t buy it because of the way it looks, although it is true that this is a nice object, but it is extremly user friendly, I advise you to try it once and I think you �ll change your mind. 

24 Feb 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Hi annelaure

I recommend open office too:

if you have OSX you should be able to use it ok.

Cheers,
AB

24 Feb 2010