Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ´in the center ´ or ´at the center ´    

´in the center ´ or ´at the center ´

yelbey
Turkey

´in the center ´ or ´at the center ´

hi everbody,
Can anyone tell me the difference between in the center and at the center
thanks and have a nice day.

24 Feb 2010      

GAZA_CHILD
Palestine

Hi Dear friend

to my mind ;they are the same
Nice weekenq

24 Feb 2010     

GAZA_CHILD
Palestine

Hi Dear friend

to my mind ;they are the same
Nice weekend

24 Feb 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

No they arent the same.  
In is the correct preposition of place - meaning inside eg in the centre of town.
At isn ´t a prepostion of place here.
eg.  At the centre of the debate,

24 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

"In the centre" is very literal, it ´s like saying right in the middle of something like a circle.

"The cat is in the center of the circle." - would mean that you are looking at a cat that is right in the middle of a circle, quite literally.

"At the center" is more abstract. It ´s not literal like "in" but it can mean something similar in the sense that you "are" in the middle of a concept.

You can be "at the center" of a debate. He ´s at the focal or important point but not necessarily "in the middle" or halfway through the debate..

He ´s a the center... - means he ´s at a place. i.e. an English center or a Medical centre.

24 Feb 2010     

yelbey
Turkey

thank.I got it

24 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Let me disagree, if I may.

Here in the US, "in the center" often means at or near the center. "I planted daffodils around the edge of my garden, and roses in the center." Here "in the center" means in the interior of the space, but not necessarily what we call "dead center". It does have to be somewhat centered, though.

"In the center of the crowd stood the president." He is not necessarily exactly at the center, but is centrally located.

"Jules Verne ´s characters found themselves at the center of the Earth." They were physically at the central point of the sphere

"The axle must be located at the center of the wheel, or it will not turn properly." It must be exactly at the central point of the circle.

"Where do you find an axle? In the center of a wheel." This is a more general statement of location, although you might not see the difference. It isn ´t stating the physical necessity of exact location, but just giving a rule about where to find an axle.

I hope this doesn ´t confuse you too much after all the other answers.

Bruce

25 Feb 2010     

Crespus2006
United States

Ok, so let me see if I understood. The both ways "in" and "at" are possible and correct, I just need to pay attention to the the context, right?

25 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Since that is more or less what I was saying, (i.e. The Centre of the Earth is an abstract concept or a place.) ... "Yes Cespus"... just pay attention to the context. 

25 Feb 2010